1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Problem - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SSCBA, May 7, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I've recently bought a Warwick Rockbass Corvette classis, 5 strings. The neck was a bit bowed, so I decided to tighten the truss rod. I turned it clockwise in 1/4 turns, but many times (my mistake) because I didn't see any change.
    Minutes later I realized I've tightened it too much so I decided to loosen it. When I tried, the truss rod nut was VERY hard to turn, and made an awful "cracking" wood sound. I could turn it only 1/4 and let it on the gigbag for a day.
    Today I tried to loosen it again and it was still very hard and made that noise when I turned it.
    Could I've broken the truss rod or the neck? What shall I do now?
    Thanks

2. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    release a 1/4 turn a day till you get it where you want it,hopefully it will be fine and you,ve learned a valuable lesson-1/4 turn a day.
    Try pulling back gently on the neck to relieve the pressure when your turning the nut.

3. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    I think it is very difficult to break a neck with a truss rod adjustment, and maybe what happened was that you took the nut to its maximum very forcibly end, the nut thread probably is too tight with the screw thread, try to loosens very gently every few hours! Good luck!

4. Thanks, I'll see what happens. What is strange is that the neck is as bowed as before tightening the truss rod (not too much, though)

5. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    Perhaps the nut has driven into the wood at the heel of the neck? (that would explain the cracking sound)
    I don't see the point of releasing the nut gradually if has been overtightened - surely it would be better to take off the tension and start again, although the fact that the neck is still bowed makes me think not much happened apart from the nut diving into the wood. If it has then remedial work needs to be carried out, or the same will happen next time the nut is tightened. I'd take it off and examine the face of the neck heel if it were mine, but that's just my opinion.

6. It could be, because I can feel like a hump on the back part of the neck, behind the nut.
    If it's that, warranty should repair or change it?

7. Can anyone please post a pic of the truss rod nut (just under the TR cover) of a Rockbass or Warwick? I think mine is too inside and want to compare. Thanks