Truss Rod Question: Epiphone Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devnulljp, May 27, 2017.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Just bought a used Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass.

1. I need to adjust the truss rod, but when I took off the cover there's no hex nut in there, just a screw-thredded hole. Do i need some kind of head/adapter or special tool to adjust the truss rod? Is something missing?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. gustophersmob

gustophersmob

Jun 9, 2015
    Can you take a picture? Most epiphone guitars have a socket at the Headstock that requires an Allen wrench. If the El capitan is a Gibson style rod, it would require a thin wall 5/16" (I think) socket. If it's Gibson style, it is possible for the nut to be unscrewed all the way, which would leave just a threaded rod sticking out.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    It looks like this. Any ideas? Something missing?

PYd3YRU.jpg

TQeSxqS.jpg

4. gustophersmob

gustophersmob

Jun 9, 2015
    I'm no expert on epiphone truss rods, but it looks like it extends out about the right length, so it likely nothing has broken off. I would expect to see flats on the inside of the hole to accept an Allen wrench, but it looks like it is rounded out maybe? In the first picture in about the 7-8 o'clock area of the nut, it looks like there may be a flat side left? Have you tried an Allen wrench?

If it is rounded out, you could try something like this: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...russ_rod_nut_Good_news_an_easy_solution_.html

5. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Figured it out -- turns out there *is* a hexnut down in there, but I needed a smaller Allen key to access it is all.

gustophersmob likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022