Trussrod adjustment, HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by product 14, Jan 6, 2004.

1. I just changed the strings of my warwick rockbass to a heaver gauge, but now the action is alot higher due to string tension. What should i do. I do have allen wrenches to adjust the trussrod which way do I turn it. Right now I have it d-tuned B_E_A_D and the action is playable
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I belive you turn it clockwise... (better responses would be had in the Setup forum.)
  3. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    i also tune down to B E A D ,i adjusted the trussrod 1 quarter turn clockwise to compensate higher pressure from the strings.I also replaced the trussrod on one bass due to it being a bolt on neck ,it came from a 5 string ,but i had no probs with a straight thru neck bass.The nut is also important as long as it is cut at the right height the fret buzz can be contained
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Setup...
  5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Typically it is turned clockwise to reduce the amount of forward bow or relief.

However, if you don't have any experience doing this, I would suggest taking it to a guitar tech and having them do it. If you goof it up you will have a very expensive repair on your hands.

With that said, here are the basic rules for adjusting a truss rod:

- turn it slightly (1/8 - 1/4 turn) in the counter clockwise direction to ensure it is not binding

- return to the original position by reversing the above counter clockwise turn.

- you should not turn a truss rod more than 1/4 turn at a time. Now turn it 1/4 turn in the clockwise direction. Tune the bass up and let it settle for at least 24 hours. During this time the bass can be used as usual.

- after the 24 hour settling period, check it again. If it is still too high, another 1/4 turn clockwise, retune and another 24 hour settling period. Repeat until the proper amount of relief is reached.

Note: Some very stiff necks or necks that have not been adjusted for a long time may need to be put in a neck clamping jig to take out the forward bow a bit so that the truss rod can be adjusted without tension on it. However, in these situations the 1/4 turn at a time rule still stands (in my book, anyway).

After all is said and done, a quick checkover to ensure no frets have popped up slightly, and a check of the intonation and bridge saddles is also warranted (ie: a setup will be needed when done).

Again, I would suggest taking to a local guitar tech for this if you're not familiar/comfortable with it.

6. Clock wise is correct, but your should read these setup manuals before doing anything yourself. When you feel confident enough to try adjusting your neck relief, do it!