Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to find new drummer...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invader3k, Apr 3, 2004.

1. :help:
    I play in a band called Total Posers (mostly classic rock and pop-punk covers, some originals). We've been together for about 3 years. We were kind of on hiatus for the last few months of 2003 (I got married, guitarist got new job, etc). Anyway, we haven't heard from our drummer since at least November. Doesn't return our calls, never picks up his phone, doesn't answer e-mail, etc. Basically I get the feeling he is too busy with classes to be in the band. He was always somewhat unreliable to begin with anyway, but he was a good drummer so we stuck it out.

So we've been looking for a new drummer for almost a month now, with no luck. Put up flyers, been asking people in other bands, etc. Nothing has come up. No calls or anything.

The kicker is before we took a break, we were actually becoming somewhat known in the area (we are in the Whitewater, WI area). We had some pretty successful gigs, actually.

Any advice on what to do now?

Thanks.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You guys were successful and now you can't even get one response to your ads? Sounds like yet another reason to stay away from Wisconsin and it's music "scene."

My advice is, keep looking -- posting ads, talking to other bands, attending some open mics, but in the meantime, keep jamming. Do you guys get a version of The Entertainer newspaper there in Whitewater? If so, I've gotten the most responses from placing a cheap ad in their paper. Although, I'm still sitting here with my thumb in my ***...

Good luck, bro! BTW, I'm in Appleton.

3. I've never heard of "The Entertainer". We may not get it here. Any website info you can give me?

Thanks,
    Mason

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sorry, man. As far as I know, it's print only. What about Maximum Ink? You could also try posting ads at www.thewitzend.com and www.themode.com. Do you guys get the Razor (WZOR) in Whitewater? Try posting an ad on their message boards ("Trading Post").

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Spam it on Drum-talk.com, or other websites that cater to drums. Call some music stores in your area that offer drum lessons see if you hook up with a teacher or student.

6. Thanks for the tips guys. I posted on all the boards you mentioned. I also put up about 20 more flyers around the college campus here. Hopefully something will turn up.