trying to get a better sound...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deadtoyou, May 15, 2005.

1. deadtoyou

May 15, 2005
    i am using an svt-4 pro head, with a sansamp bass driver DI along with a boss noise suppressor. i have a tone that i'm kindof satisfied with but it seems that my amp isn't putting out the power or volume i need. possible settings for either the amp or the pedal or both? any suggestions would be helpful.

thank you!
  2. You have not provided enough information to get a good response to your question. You haven't told us what kind of tone you are after, what settings you use now, what kind of bass you play, what kind of music you play, what cabs you use. Filling out your profile is very useful.

With all of that said I'll take a crack at it. You said that volume is an issue and that immidiately tells me that too much bass is being introduced into the EQ. If I were you I would take out the pedals, start with the EQ flat on your head, and possibly cut (not boost) frequencies no more than 3db. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE SMILE EQ! This is a tone sucking mistake that too many bass players fall into. As a matter of fact if you are playing rock or metal you may want to go for more of a frown EQ (cut only). Mids are your friend and it's what defines your tone.

The truth of the matter is there are too many variables to offer a conclusive answer to your question. Even if you get it right with one rig and room it will be different if you change rooms, rigs, bass, or music style.

One last thing. If you are set on using the Sansamp with your head and boosting lows do it on one or the other, NOT BOTH.

Good luck and welcome to TB!
  3. deadtoyou

May 15, 2005
    i play in a hardcore band. i use a fender jazz, and am playing through an ampeg 8x10 cab. i'm looking for a more dirty sound.
  4. is it just me, or is the BDDI's main selling feature is its tube emulation? :confused: try not using it
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I assume you are trying to run the SVT briged into the 810. Are you sure you are using the correct speaker cable (you need a special speakon 4 pin cable to run briged) and have the bridge switch on the back engaged? If you aren't using the right cable your 1200 watt SVT is putting a wopping 475 watts into the 4 ohm 810.

Also make sure the compressor isn't turned up all the way, and that the level slider on the graphic EQ isn't down. Turning the limiter off is another good idea, as is making sure both the Ultra Low and High boost switches are turned off.
  6. I suggested that as a starting point, sorry I wasn't clear on that. :crying:
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    +1 on the speakon cable.
  8. deadtoyou

May 15, 2005
    i am using a speakon cable. running it from the mono/bridge bi-amp plug. i do have the ultra hi and low buttons pressed in but i will try depressing them along with turning the limit defeat off. but i heard that if you do that you risk damaging your amp that way, any truth to this? anyways thanks to those who replied for all your help!
  9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The Ultra low boost is robbing you of your power to project the mid-grind you are looking for. Turn everything on your amp flat, no switches, no graphic eq, put the SABDDI on SVT setting and crank the master volume on the amp. Enjoy.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    How is the connector on each side of your speakon cable wired?