Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ive got a mesa boogie 2x10 buster tube amp in my studio. i was wondering what your thoughts may be on playing this amp with it in its standup position rather than in the conventional position, in which the 6L6's are horizontal to each other rather than vertical?? i never tried it and i bet you shouldnt .....
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Look for a 6L6 datasheet. The preferred and acceptable orientations will be specified.
  3. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
    I second the reply above. Almost all amps with high power tubes like 6L6 or EL34, etc. Have huge warnings in the owners manual about operating with the tubes ONLY in the vertical position.
  4. ya, i thought so. it would be just so convenient to run it upright due to a very small studio. but im not gonna do it unless i find valid proof. i looked at some 6l6 datasheets and saw nothing yet, but im sure your right.....
  5. It shouldn't be a big deal but it IS possible to for it to cause internal parts of the tubes to sag and short to each other. The Aguilar DB359 uses horizontally mounted 6550's running at higher voltages than the Buster's 6L6's. Be sure to keep them well-ventilated if you find it necessary to run the amp that way, but I don't really recommend you do it.
  6. thanks psycho,........u usually come thru in a pinch!!
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Now I feel like a dummy, because I went to:

and could not find any orientation information in the data sheets. Maybe I am remembering this kind of info for high powered radio transmitter tubes, or maybe it is in the general section of the receiving tube manual rather than in the sheets on specific tubes. Grrrr...

Here is what I dug up in the newsgroup:

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Cooling in horizontal position should be a fair bit BETTER than in vertical position. More of the tube gets fresher, cooler air, and there is some turbulence set up by the shape. Turbulence improves air cooling.

Vertical, the upper part of the tube gets air pre-heated by the lower part of the tube.....and the air flow is more laminar, which provides not as good cooling.

If there is no caution against it, for a particular tube, no reason not to use it horizontal. If, that is, it won't fall out, and nothing blocks air-flow that way........since "up" is then a different orientation relative to the chassis.