Tune basses?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chips, Sep 3, 2005.

1. greetings friends

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with tune basses?.. i played one yesterday, its the first time i'd ever seen one. and it was pretty nice.

2. I have a Tune six string Zi-2 a few years ago. Very nice bass, easy to play and with wonderful crisp tone. This was one of the older, Japanese ones though.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Claypool played one for a little bit before he got his Rainbow bass. My friend has one and he says it plays real good. I say, if it plays good and sounds good, who cares who makes it!

EDIT: The above statement does not apply to Behringer.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The origibal Japanese or the newer Koreans?

A search will get you some answers
  5. thanks, yeah the tone on it was very nice. quite smooth on the neck pup and growly on the bridge pup. gotoh tuners, brass nut and bridge, 18 volt active system with 3 band eq. the model was TWB, in the natural finish. looked very nice, but i'd never heard of them before. im thinking i shall purchase it for $1100 AUD

also, it was made in korea... is there much difference between the MIJ and koreans?
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes. IIRC, they only share the name and the body styles, maybe even some design patents. Like Tobias basses - there were the ones Michael Tobias made, and there are the ones Gibson now makes. However, they are hopefully better in quality than Gibson :ninja:
  7. ah ok. i checked the site and pretty much all the specs about the pups and electronics where the same as what i saw and the dude at the shop told me though...
  8. Hey, I am also looking into a Tune bass. TWB63 to be exact. of course, I'm not 100% sold on the 6 string idea yet, may just go for the 5, but damn, that c string is mighty tempting for the higher pitch.

Anyway, I'll be doing a comparisson in the near future featuring the TWB63 and an Ibanez SR506. I'm looking very foward to a trip to Sam Ash... very forward.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven't heard much about the newer Korean ones. But I do remember years ago a member here who I haven't heard from in years (Angus) had a Tune bass with a 36" scale.
  10. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I used to play a Japaneese Tune Kingbass five string and it was a good bass. It looked very modern but had a very Fender like tone and had a very nice P like neck profile.