1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lenosgood, May 22, 2011.

1. Pros and cons of inline vs. stick-on/clamp on tuners?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I use the Boss TU-2 since it functions as a mute switch and since it's a buffered bypass it's perfect for placing at the front of your chain.

3. minorthreat

minorthreat

Feb 18, 2011
    NYC
    I have a clamp on tuner (Kala branded; not sure who actually makes it) and it's next to worthless.

My cheap/old Korg CA-30 sits at the end of my (albeit short) effects chain and works great.

4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I have both and I only use the clamp on tuners when I can't have a pedal board. They work if you get the right one, but if the battery dies you're out of luck. The pedal based tuner is usually run on a power supply, it's reliable, more accurate and works as a mute switch. The pedal tuner is superior except for those times when you don't want or can't use pedals.

5. Tridacnid

Tridacnid

Jun 6, 2010
    Omaha
    Whatever you do, make sure you don't cheap out. I used a cheap clip on for a couple months and it wasn't horrible. But one day, it just died. That was extremely annoying.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the electric signal from a bass is so much stronger than its acoustic vibration that there's no point in fooling with a contact tuner.

7. Thanks for the input...I've seen a few pedal tuners on CL for cheap and I think I'll go ahead and pick one up.

8. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    get both and see which one u like.