Tuning peg upgrade for Ibanez SR250?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, May 7, 2021.

1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    What would be the high quality version of the cheap tuning pegs that come stock on Ibanez basses?

Mine are loose and one of them can't be tightened because the nut slips on the threads. it still works so I stopped messing with it and will just deal with it for now but I'd like to replace them with something a bit higher quality.

any suggestions?

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any Gotoh GB7 knock-off will work. Spend some extra dough for either the US or licensed Hipshot Ultralites or the Gotoh Res-o-lites....both are 3/8". Check the "Accessories for Sale" for cast-offs (stock import tuners) if you just need something functional.

Riis

3. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I was actually looking for something that could be an upgrade. something solid

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
  5. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a gold set on my 1405. The scalloped buttons are a nice touch IMO.

Riis

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Ibanez, Warwick and Fender have all used Gotoh "licensed" tuners. They suck. The real thing is always a better idea.

8. B double smooth

B double smooth

Aug 15, 2021
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB350's are definitely the highest quality tuners to-date for the size ⅜". AAMOF, 9 of my 10 Ibanez basses have tuners upgraded to the GB350's (the only 1 not upgraded is the ergonomic headless bass, EHB series, which obviously doesn't use the same tuners). But, would you buy such expensive tuners for a $300 instrument? The cost of getting the GB350's is almost a third of the price paid for getting an SR250.

Although I did it once. My acoustic electric bass, the EWB205WNE, is the cheapest of all Ibanez basses I have, which cost about $300 something, and still I upgraded the tuners with 5pcs of the GB350's (since this is a 5 string bass, thus the whole set cost me more than a hundred bucks).

I'd say the suggestion of getting the licensed Hipshot Ultralite tuners makes more sense in this situation. The Ultralites are also good quality light weight tuners, although not as premium as the Res-O-Lites, but the price is far way cheaper.

10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What's wrong with the existing bridge? We have a hat full of work-arounds to remedy just about any wonkiness. If truly beyond hope, pick out what you like (check spacing specs!) and drill whatever holes are required.

Riis