1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning & string gauge problems.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jessup, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Jessup

Jessup

May 22, 2008
    Regina Sk.
    Im in two bands. One that plays drop D and one that plays C standard (although I play standard the majority of the time just by myself), and up until now my guitar had regular gauged strings. I've decided it would be best to get a higher string gauge and basically set up my bass to be playing D standard so that I could still play decently in standard and in C standard. Has anyone else had this problem and is this a good way to solve it?

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I would use more basses and have each one set up for the different tunings you use. Changing the tuning back and forth like that can put a lot of stress on your neck. Hope this helps.

3. CFBbEb to DADG? One string changing by a whole tone & 3 changing by two whole tones?

Unless you like rather high action I can't see this working well at all, unless you work the truss rod to compensate for the tuning changes.

This sounds like a situation best served by either standardizing on a tuning or by using 2 basses.

I wouldn't worry about changing tuning stressing your neck.