1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning Zyex lights up to Solo a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by anightintunisia, May 5, 2017.

1. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    My bass absolutely responds better to lighter tension strings both arco and pizz. While Zyex are not my favorite for arco due to pitch instability, they are easier for me to bow compared to Evahs and I've been curious about getting the light gauge set and tuning it up to Solo. Wondering if this is a bad idea and or would it be lighter tension the Spiro solos. Zyex lights are:

G: 58
    D: 59.5
    A:62.5

Spiro Solos are:
    A:70.5
    E:72.8
    B:72.8

Opinions?

2. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    There's a reason there are solo strings. I think it's not worth risking it

3. Tuning up a whole tone gives you about 20% more tension and the risk of breaking the string (maybe not immediately, but a lot earlier than you might expect) is rather high.
    Since your bass likes lower tension better use lower tension solo strings and tune them down.
    And synthetic core strings generally don't like to be detained from solo to orchestra tuning and back.
    If you really want to use one string set for both, solo and orchestra tuning, expect a rather hard string for solo and a very soft string with orchestra tuning which might lead to more sinking down than you might like when bowing.

Tune down your lights by a halftone to check that, tune up a halftone to check solo tuning tension.

It is never a good idea to tune strings higher than intended by the manufacturer, specially synthetic core strings.

If they still exist you can try Velvet Compas 180 SUIT or Innovation Braided Solos (140BS). The Braided are easier to bow than the Compas 180 and probably cheaper.

4. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking I just want to leave that bass in permanent solo tuning, minus my C-ext. No need to tune back to regular. I'd like to do Permamant tops Spiro B, and regular spiro C-ext. But I wish the tension was closer to Weichs instead of a little heavier then Mittels. I do a split of arco and pizz so I need a good hybrid string.

5. If you like lower tension strings, you might want to check SuperSensitive Sensicore don't know if they have Solo tuning) or Innovation Braided Solo. The Spiros Solos are higher tension than these two synthetic core sets.

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sensicore does have a solo set, which I think is great (except for the G which is too thin; but I use the regular G with the set)

Jargar dolce can be tuned up to solo pitch and are great bowing strings (not so good for pizz); I've had solo dominants, kaplans, perms and superflexibles on at various time on various basses - all better IMO than solo Spiros.

I think I might have one or two old sets you can try if you want to PM me. I'm in LA if you want to try them

Louis

7. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
    Dominant solos sound good and are fairly similar tension-wise to Zyex lights.

EDIT - Dominant solos are

A: 59.5
    E: 61.7
    B: 63.9

8. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    I have used Zyex Lights, and they are my backup strings, but I don't really like them for bowing: on my bass, the G string has a nasal honk starting from the high C on.

I have used both: really didn't like the sound and feel of Innovations (they had like a 'quack' / 'honk' in their sound) , and they were off in 3 days (so you might want to listen to wat DoubleMIDI says about them, as I haven't given them a real chance).
    My set now is a Velvet Compass 180 (Orchestral), and I love them; low tension, soft on the hands, deep and rich tone. You need to adapt a little if you are bowing; a softer, relaxed touch and at the same time focus and control are required (which is more or less the definition of bowing :smug: ), because of you play with too much pressure or weight they'll sound awfull and your string will rattle against the fingerboard. There is a Solo set, and I'll be checking those out if my current strings go out (because, if I downtune half a step, my bass sounds even better), but they are expensive...

9. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    On a side note - be aware that Gauge is irrelevant when comparing two different strings - they are from different manufacturers and use different materials in their construction.