Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nitrous3a8, Nov 26, 2003.

1. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    yo, i am new to this form, and so far it kicks ass

now, seeing as how i am a noob, how do u 'Drop - 1/2 A Step' please help me, i need it:bassist:
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Your strings, when in Standard Tuning, are E A D and G, going from thickest to thinnest. "Drop tuning" half a step means you are de-tuning one or more of your strings so that they play a different pitch.

In this case, it's a half-step, or the difference between one piano key and the next, in terms of pitch.

So your E becomes an E flat, your A an A flat, etc. Sometimes you only detune your E string, sometimes you detune all of the strings. It depends on what the song requires. If you have a tuner, set it to E flat (Or D sharp) and tune. If you don't have a tuner, play the sixth fret on your A string- that will give you an E flat one octave higher. You can tune to that.

(If you are new, check out the Newbie FAQ in my signature. :))
  3. WELCOME! To TB!

Down or Drop tuning involves tuning the strings down from their normal EADG tuning. Tuning down a whole step, for example, would give you DGCF as open strings. Many bassists only tune down their E string a whole step, giving them a bass that is DADG. There is no set pattern to down tuning, some players only down tune half a step, others several. The advantage, of course, is that you can play notes that are normally below the bass' normal range. However, by tuning the string down you are changing the string's tension, making it more likely to rattle, and giving it a different feel.

4. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    yo thanks for the h
    i've learnt guns and roses- sweet child o' mine

for this song i was just told i need to 'Drop - 1/2 A Step', so i think i need the drop every cord

now, is there a tunuer that i can use, cause my ear is not to good yet

5. If only ALL new players would realize this on their first day and take steps to train their ear from the beginning... :)

And damn Treena!!! You truly ARE the mistress of smileys. I bow down in your presence.

6. I concur on the tuning!

Hambone, smilies are fun!

7. Why cant you play all the notes one fret back? Youd be using tabs right?

So if it says 7 play the 6th instead.