1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Turning Up the Cab's Tweeter??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sorta wondering aloud,

is there ever a need to turn up the tweeter? anyone ever do so? if so, why?

2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Do you mean up as in up from the flat position?

As an answer to that question, no.

I had the tweeter on my swr attenuated down, sometimes even all the way, to get rid of all the hiss.

On my aguilar cabs, it's flat. The bright switch on the db750 does me well, and sometimes I'll have the treble knob up as far as 1:30.

3. I have the hiss control on my 4x10 all the way down :)

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Depends on the cab..... Acme's.... all the way up all the time (and still couldn't really hear it!), Accugrooves... the new one's don't even have an attenuator...all the way up by definition. The old EA VL line.... all the way up... and still not much high end definition IMO.

Any other high quality cab.... usually between 9 and 10 o'clock (i.e., significantly attenuated from flat). That usually results (for me anyway) in a nice balanced sound, with plenty of sizzle if you want it.

Also, per the comment above on hiss.... for the 10,000 time from many posters... tweeters don't hiss.... low quality amps, pickups and electronics do.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends on the cab/amp combo. I find with the Eden WT800 that I turn the tweeter up a bit more since it's a less open high end sound than with the Thunderfunk.

6. I get a hiss through everything i use, even with new cables, different cabs, different outlets, with/without my BDDI

So i either have a grounding issue with all my basses (hiss/buzz almost totally disapears on contact) or some voodoo curse, and sorry, but the best way to get rid of most of it is turning that tweeter off, seeing it tends to not make a worthwhile noticable difference IMO

7. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    ON the EDEN 4x10 XLT you have to have it up a little or else it suffers from breking - for reasons I do not understand but it is true - I think there was a thread on this somewhere that confirms 'do not turn it all the way off ot avoid damage'.
    Now, just reguarly I think you shoudl always start witha tweeter down and bring it up as necesary - sometimes for popping and slapping it is nice to have a brighter sound otherwise mid position for me.

8. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Sounds like Acme's, Accugrooves and EAs are for me. I hate tweeters for bass cabs. :spit: :bag:

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

A tweeter will only amplify what is being put into it. Changing cabs will have no effect, since a cab only amplifies what is going into it. Outlets are rarely a problem, and cables are usually not the issue either.

It sounds like you don't like the sound of a cab with a tweeter... that's fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that cabs with tweeters are bad, noisy, etc. They are not.

It's perfectly fine to not like a modern, more articulate sound, and many players find it difficult for their technique to keep up with the more precise nature of that sound. An articulate cabinet will amplify poor technique and noise in the signal chain equally:cool: .

Of course, many great players prefer a darker warmer sound. It's all cool.

10. Totally, im not arguing that, its just ive found i get a mysterous buzz/hiss of what must be all my basses which make a mess with a tweeter :p

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1.. sounds like something is going on with your amp.

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I know they're a part of some players tone, but mine stays rolled off either completely or barely past 2.

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you're not touching the strings or another metallic part there's supposed to be hiss and/or buzz.

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    No, there's not. If that's the case, it means your bass is not shielded well. Unfortunately, this is considered OK by many people, but it only takes about 30$ and a half hour to take care of it.

15. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm with Kjung. Tweeters don't make noise, the reason most people are able to get rid of hiss by turning them down is because the high frequency is usually where bass pre's are noisy. I've found it's usually bass electronics.

16. Nah, because it happens with both my peavey firebass and ampeg SVT-II, so at first i thought it might have been to do with the plug socket as they both used the same one, but the exact same thing happens on different sockets and it happens at the practice room we ues that has a completelly different bass amp and cab, thanks for the concern tho :)

Yup, thats one of the reasons i bought a cheap banger bass a while back, so i could totally shield that (which has been done) and stick in some new pups (needing to be done) and hopefully that bass will be quiet :) (dimarzio model P and model J being used, and they'll get taken out of that and put into a fender aerodyne when i eventually get one :) ), and if the shielding works, then im going to attempt it on my other basses too :bassist:

17. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    Aw, come on. I confront this every time i turn up the volume. Do you have to rub it in?

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Welcome to the club:D

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Depending on your amp, you should take care of hiss with your equalizer, not your tweeter control. Much more precise.

20. I've resorted to pulling all of the snakes out of my cabinet, now I can play with the tweeter all the way up.:bag: