1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tweeter fell off - need help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DannyB, Apr 12, 2006.

1. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I have a Dr. Bass Rx212. Loading it into the car the other night I heard something fall in the cab and rattle around. Got it home, took off the control plate, reached in, and the tweeter was laying inside..
    It is still attached to the wires, but it fell off of the plastic mount (looks kinda like a hollow bell-shaped cone). The speaker itself slides over the "hollow bell-shaped cone" and maybe seems to just need some kinda glue to hold it in place, but that's where my expertise ends. For now I have simply put the speaker back in place, but next time the cab moves it is liable to fall right off the "hollow bell-shaped cone" again.

That said - what can I do? I don't want to ruin anything by using the wrong materials.

And for the record, I have called Marc Serio. Twice (Monday and today) with no response.

2. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    bump - anyone? need some help here....

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Can't offer any help

But it does sound awefully painful

4. Use some RTV sealant to hold it together or super glue.

5. it was saying something. something like "this piece was not strong for the rest of us".

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If the tweeter assembly came off the cone a picture would help.

I recommend you take off the front grille. Unscrew the tweeter
    bell housing. Then fish out the tweeter assembly.

Inspect to see if it is (was) screwed together or glued together.
    If glued, try regluing it with Model airplane cement
    available from hobby shops.

If it was screwed together look for the screws inside the cab,
    and rescrew them.

Alternatively, get a replacement from the dealer, take the
    wires off the old one, plug them onto the new on, and screw it
    back it and replace the grill.

7. Model airplane glue, polycement? i dont think it would work with the typical type of plastic that is used in tweeter housings as those plastics are much harder than the ones in model airplanes, if he's going to glue it i'd suggest araldite then you know it wont come appart again!

- Will

8. Is there such a thing as "Loctite" super glue over there. If so, and you still have this problem then get this glue!

9. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    for the record, i used plastic cement (the airplane model stuff) and it has held since april. thanks for the advice

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Good riddance to that stupid tweeter! :spit:

As you can probably tell, I hate tweeters.

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Hmmmm.....the stinking tweeter fell off,eh? Maybe it's some sort of omen. Or maybe it's a subtle hint from your bandmates? Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. Does your tone sound kind of thin and twangy like a guitar or a banjo? Did you start out playing the guitar and later switch over to the bass? Maybe, subconsciously, you are jealous of the lead guitar player and try to compensate by making your bass sound all trebly and bright? How about your playing style? Are you slapping, smacking and whacking your bass instead of playing real musical notes? Do your bandmates, especially the singers, sometimes suggest that you should quit screwing around with the slapping and smacking and just play the bass? Did you know that by simply turning up the tone knob on your bass you can get all the treble you will ever need out of a regular type speaker? Sure, there are some bass players who like that twangy, guitar-sounding, guitar-wannebe bass tone. But you have to ask yourself, do you want to play guitar or bass? Maybe you don't really need that stinking tweeter. :eyebrow: