Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Twist?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lonote, Sep 28, 2004.

1. My P-Bass clone seems to be developing a problem that I don't quite know how to approach. Let me first say that I keep the action low and have minimal relief in the neck. I first noticed a bit of buzz on the G string, pretty much evenly up and down the neck. The obvious first thought is to raise the string. I haven't (yet) because I happened to sight down the neck and noticed that the neck appears to have a slight (i.e. normal for me) bit of relief on the E string side of the neck but no relief at all on the G string side. I bought the neck off e-Bay a several months back and have had no problems with it. I never remember the various profile names, but it is 1.75" wide at the nut and it is quite beefy and it is currently strung with Fender medium guage flats. What would y'all suggest...a heavier G string...dial in a little more relief in the neck...raise the string and forget about it? Thanks!

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    My beater bass twisted its neck from humidity changes, I raised the string and forgot about it. Eventually it went back to normal.

3. This is my beater and that's kind of what I was thinking. I have another neck, if it comes to that. Here in Minnesota temperature and humidity changes can do odd things to wooden instruments.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are using the medium Fender flats (.055 to .105) I have found they are very high tension. Thick, high tension strings *generally* need a higher action. If you have too little relief, I would not be surprised if the E string is twisting the neck a bit.

You can either raise the G string if that dosen't bother you. Or maybe add a bit more relief to the neck. I would tend towards the latter, but I like a medium setup.

OR, you could try a lower tension set of strings. Maybe La Bella Deep Talking flats. However, this *will* change the sound.

P.S. It sounds like you have a P bass neck. If it where a J, you would probably be having more problems. Good choice!

5. Thanks! The biggest reason I use the medium Fender flats is that I like the high tension (and low action). I think I'll add a bit of relief and see if that cures the problem. I bought this bass to be my "beater" and I have learned a lot about set-up and adjustment using it as the guinea pig but it sees as much, if not more, stage time than my other basses...it feels right and sounds great.