Two bassist in one band? Good Idea??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Vysous, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    I came to our rehearsal today and what i see?? Another guy with bass!!! I was quite angry and surprised, because i dont think I am bad player (and not good, too). Our band lead singer/guitarist said,
    that we will play together, two bassist in ONE PUNK-ROCK band!?
    He also said I will probably play solos and he will be backing-bassist.
    So whats your opinion???
    Is it a good Idea???

Just take that bass and play! - Jaco Pastorius
  2. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    If you're playing the type of music that you let on about, you barely need 1 bassist. Punk rock music of any sort has never needed 2 bassists and I don't think you guys are gonna break the mold.

I'd go up to whoever made that decision and find out if they're trying to get you out of the band or something.

3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah for punk rock man, i would say all thats needed is one bass. it may be too much with two bass players let alone two guitar players.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey ... works for Spinal Tap.
  5. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    you could play punk rock with a 2 string bass :)
  6. i've tried it, it sounds pretty good, but you've gotta treat it like guitar and bass instead of bass and bass, one guy plays lead (with clean setting) and one plays backup with overdrive. it works just like having two guitarists in my opinion.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you abandon the requirements of a punk rock band... it could be cool.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Wow, they dont sound bad at all.
  9. Oooh - gotta hate that feeling! If I were in your shoes, I would take the singer/guitarist aside and ask some serious questions about what his real motives are. That would be after I screamed ***! :mad:
  10. That situation is rude and uncalled for. Something like bringing in a new player, etc., is discussed amongst the band PRIOR to you just walkin' in and seeing the new cat on bass. I would have a serious heart to heart talk. Nawww, on second thought I think I would walk. I am the bass player. I play the bass part that I feel the song calls for. Period. Long notes, short notes, fast notes, slow notes, even no notes. (ok SamIAM!) You are the bass player, that freq chunk is your territory to play with as you see fit. If they are forcing you to share that freq they must feel something is missing. Tell the lead singer that you want to sing lead on that song and he can do backup. See the reaction. Better yet, bring in a buddy you know who can sing & tell them, "Joe's gonna sing lead on a few tunes just to "round out" the band." You're THE bass player. They are rude a-holes.

Our lead singer is also the keys player. He wrote the songs but the groove has been radically changed in most cases. His left hand, from force of habit (playing with himself) will wander really, really low on the bass notes, changing the syncopation. "No one will notice." He says. Like hell they won't. I stop playing (not live) and the whole momentum of the song comes to a grinding halt. You don't need me up there playing if you are going to cover the bass part. You especially don't need me playing if your part is going to clash in some way with mine. Stay the hell out of my freq kitchen! :bassist:

I think that's gonna be my new sig line! :D
  11. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You got bigger problems than the 2 bassists question...which, in my opinion, is a bad idea.

If you are in the type of band that would make such a fundamental decision without your input, then you are in the wrong band. However, if the rest did this without asking you, I'll bet $100 that they aren't looking for 2 bassists...they are looking to push you out but don't have the stones to say it just yet. Maybe they think you'll take a hint. You have to wake up...sorry, but its clear as day IMO.

What they are doing is bush-league. Tell them its ONE bassist, just you, or you are out.

The Nanny
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I second that, just split. Obviously the singer either doesn't feel you can handle the bass duties, or wants this guy playing bass for some other reason. Neither case is something you should bother dealing with.

I don't see the point of having more than one of ANY instrument in a band, but bass in particular is even less suited to doubling up. I can think of more uses for two drummers than I can for two bassists.

I've actually encountered something simillar. In one of my old bands the drummer showed up at practice one day with his friend and said "He wants to sing for us and I told him it would be cool". My response (since I was doing vocals and bass) was a rather incredulous "What?". The reasoning given was that doubling the vocals would make us sound "fuller" and that we'd be more interesting live because a lead singer can move around more than I could (being tied to my mic stand as it were).

Before I got a chance the guitar player jumped in with "That's the f*cking dumbest idea I've ever heard!" Good to know you've got support :)
  13. Depends on a band, if you are in a band liek the switchable kittins or toupe ( ) then it all works out.

if you are in a funk band with 2 bass players, then suddenly it turns into a scremo band, run, run as fast as you can *shiver*
  14. Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    So, I am almost decided to leave...
    We will probably make a band with our rhytm-guitarist....
  15. fixed the link to toupe.

Anyway, I would telk to them about nto tellign you, and if it doenst go well, kick him out, nuff said
  16. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    neds atomic dustbin had 2 bass players
  17. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I play in a band with three bassists and sometimes also bassoon. So musically I think it's a great idea. But it does sound like a personal problem. The least bad possibility is that the singer met a guy who thinks having two bassists is really great, asked him to join the band and wasn't thinking enough to ask you first. Try to find out. I have a feeling you'll quit. Or maybe you'll keep the second bassist and kick the singer out.
  18. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I personally don't play with other bassist. To me it takes away the freedom that I enjoy as being the bassist. If I want to stretch and play with the time, another bassist just adds another person that will have to feel it. My drummer and I have a great flow between us, to add another bassist would totally mess it all up IMO.

Also, I think that my "only one bass" thinking has to do with some of my experiences in bluegrass jams. If you have two bassist that like to walk lines and they walk differently you can have some ugly sounding leading tones...
  19. I know its been mentioned, but I'll say again, check out Neds Atomic Dustbin, and also Girls Against Boys are (were?) a punk band with bassists. about 10 years ago they were one of the most sought after unsigned bands in the u.s., but they had some terrible luck and ended up not really doing much, as is the business i guess!