Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by the_vza1, Dec 6, 2004.

1. the_vza1

the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    Ive been learning how to play from a friend for 4-5 months
    we got some songs down and are starting to write our own as he's teaching me scales and stuff

1) I desperately want to begin distinguishing notes by ear and developing that talent , how do i start because all ive been using is tab, and thats not gonna help me much in the future. How do i begin?

2) I started playing with this drummer kid and thought it was the best exprience ever, fun as hell, and more fulfilling than just guitar + bass, but apparently he wasnt very good, do better drummers make for a funner time?

any help is appreciated

2. Drummers are an endless source of amusement... :p

Good drummers make playing much more fun.

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Try www.good-ear.com - good for helping hear intervals (the distance between notes). I also think it is important for a number of reasons to learn the two-octave major scale and practice it in different keys - singing the notes as you play them (as numbers AND as the note itself).

And yes, good drummers are VERY VERY important. I play in a band with one average drummer and one who is AMAZING (normally plays guitar). The difference between the two is incredible.