1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TWO GARY KARR's transcriptions FREE DOWNLOAD

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by vitoliuzzi, Mar 31, 2009.

1. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Dear Forum,
    with maestro Karr I've ideated this strange thing.
    Gary has a lot of transcriptions never edited,
    so he has decided thanks to my no profit site,
    to give to all bass community and If you like this idea.

So please let me know.

My very little site is always the same
    http://www.vitoliuzzi.com

It's very important your opinion because he must decide to go on or not.

By the way, my best regards. Now I have to Charge the first two transcription you can also find in cd.

Vito

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    New music is always welcome. Is there supposed to be a link to the transcriptions? There isn't one now. Thanks.
    Neil

3. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    No Neil,
    at the moment you must go to main page about Gary Karr and at the end you will find the original transcriptions in PDF.

Non we would like to have your feedback for this idea (it's good or not?) because Mr.Karr has and incredible archive of musics transcribed from other instrument. It's incredible.

So it's up to you, to decide if we have gone on or you are not interested. Naturally "no-profit", and simply for double bass love.

Vito Liuzzi

4. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I am more interested in the unpublished original works for bass that Karr has.

5. jzauner

jzauner

Apr 21, 2007
    I am very interested in whatever he may have!

6. I downloaded the Ravel in orchestral tuning.
    Thanks, Liuzzi for this gift!
    The solo tuning version has the bass part in smaller print so it looks better as a score but they are both very helpful.
    I have not looked at the Mendelssohn yet but he's not really on my 'must have' list.
    FC

7. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Thanks a lot, Fergus.
    But it has been my idea and then maestro Karr has decided that I could add in my strange site these transcriptions. So you have to thank maestro Karr !!!

Really, I hope to convince him to make us other gifts like videos or transcriptions.

I don' t know.

See you.

vito

8. I had the honour of meeting Gary Karr many years ago before I went to college. I was at his recital in Glasgow, Scotland in 1983 and when I went to see him back stage he was very freindly, he even signed my bridge using a G clef and a C clef for his initials! This concert was a revelation for me. He played some solo pieces with very high passages stopped instead of harmonics and I was a changed man from that moment.
    He has been an inspiration to so many of us!

just one more thing... I think Leon Bosch is spelled BOSCH.

Cheers,
    FC

9. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Fergus,
    I know only one thing. Mr. Karr during his carreer has been much more loved outside the States and not in his country,
    And he has always suffered for this reason.
    I say one thing: someone can love his sound or not! And this is normal. But in my opinion in his case Latins say "Nemo propheta in patria acceptus est". So I think there has been something obscure behind his figure.

By the way, Fergus, Mr. Karr has gifted me his DvoraK Concerto (live) and with very little changements. It' s absurd!
    But "live" probably he has made two little imperfections.

My best bass regards

Vito

10. andres

andres

Dec 14, 2008
    TJ
    I think many people don´t realize that mr. Karr was a figure that Historically changed our instrument. He may be not changed the technique as many others great players but he did great things for our instrument, and inspired thousands of people to be better bassists. Those who judge him just for he´s playing, im sorry for them.

Thinking he´s still alive and capable to continue making music, we have to consider how many recordings, transcriptions and recitals he gave to our world. How many dedication, passion and work he made to give us that. Now we have a long legacy and historic trasure that masters like him gave us.

There are many great players and mr. Karr its one of my all favorites. But I can´t forget how after hearing he´s "Spirit of koussevitksy" recording I start practice 10 hours every day trying to "sing" just a little like him...

PD: I would love to see he´s transcriptions and of course playing them!
    Andres...

11. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Hi guys
    I love the way Mr. Karr plays, and I agree that he did great things for double bass.
    I don't play classical anymore cause I always liked metal music but to me; metal it's just the same as classical but with distortion.
    Mr. karr will be always a big influence to me.