1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two-handed tapping - descending intervals with the right hand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Out_of_Toon, Mar 12, 2009.

1. So after some weeks of really getting into two handed tapping practicing there's one thing I can't really figure out how to pull off quite right:

When I do a chromatic pattern in a 4-3-2-1 style with my right hand the notes played with my ring, middle and index finger are too weak sounding when played by themselves, let alone if accompanied by left-hand patterns.
    My guess is that I'm not pulling my, let's say, pinky out of the way fast enough for the ring to come in with enough accuracy and strength. But all this pulling and hammering seems to tiresome in regard to the economy of motion.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or exercises that could help?

Thanks

2. basscheez

basscheez

Nov 6, 2008
    Cleveland, Oh
    I'm not good at it, but when I tap with my right hand it tends to be all hammer-ons. I use the "departing" finger to keep the string from ringing as the "arriving" finger comes down.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You probably just need to develop the other fingers for descending patterns some more. Descending patterns are always harder for me, even when playing normally. Hammer-offs will work, but if you want more attack for each note, I'd practice doing 2-finger drills. Like do 4-3 over and over for a couple minutes on one string, then do 3-2 and 2-1 each for a couple minutes. Then do each drill up and down the strings, then do it while changing frets. Maybe work some 4-2 and 3-1 drills in there, too. And concentrate on getting a clear attack each time, and do it painfully slow at first and try to keep in rhythm and gradually increase speed once you master the slower speed.

4. Ah yes, painfully slow it is :D

Thanks for the input, one more question:

Should I also try to work out some simpler pieces together with just building finger strength?

I'm trying to get some simple Bach stuff down but so far it's been rather pathetic :bag: