1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Singers??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IbanezBass69, Oct 23, 2010.

1. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    So, this new metal act I am helping form is going well. We need a drummer and singer. So, while talking about it, guitarist mentions he wants 2 singers in the band, preferably one male/one female. So we can have clean singing and growly/screamy vocals, one doing each.
    I am open to new ideas, and this one could be cool, but not only does that cut everyone's pay, it means another person to get along with.

My question is do any of you guys have experience with a 2 singer band, be it male/female, or any combination of genders? I just want to be prepared for this idea to explode in my face, or if it will actually end up working out well and giving something for people to remember us by.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    We have two female singers in our band. It works fine for us. When one sings, the other does the backing vocals, and vice versa. Neither have the "I need to have more songs where I'm the lead!" diva mentality, which is a huge plus. I would assume that would be the bone of contention between two singers.

3. RenoEvan

RenoEvan

Mar 11, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Even better if one of them plays an instrument, giving you that much more flexibility, increases what you can do without having two more people. Or put another way, if one of your instrumentalists can also do some of the singing.

4. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    ^^ That would be a good idea, maybe just find a drummer that can sing or something...

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I'm in a cover band with two girls who sing, plus I sometimes rap or sing and we have a new guitarist who also sings. The two girls do probably close to 90% of the vocals, though. Either one can sing lead and they can also harmonize very well, so there are plenty of options. It gives us a big advantage over other bands.

Organizationally it helps if at least one of them also plays an instrument, so there's less "standing around with nothing to do" especially when a particular song needs only one vocal, and no need to actually add another person.

Doesn't always work out, of course. I used to be in another band with a lead vocalist who rarely played anything, a backing vocalist who never played anything, and a flute player who sometimes did some vocals too, and that didn't last too long before only the lead vocalist was left.

What specific metal genre are you looking at?

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We did have two vocalists and it was working fine. The female did just quit however, but that was due to insanity in her personal life, not band problems. It allows them to rest their voices by trading off lead songs and backup.

7. if the second singer doubles on an instrument it could open up a lot of possibilities....

8. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    We are looking at doing pretty heavy metal. I guess for influences, lets say Arch Enemy, Mudvayne, Five Finger Death Punch. Bands like that.

9. Bassdude404

Bassdude404

Oct 23, 2010
    "Skillet" and "Lacuna Coil" come to mind...Proof right there that there's some commercial appeal for that style....

10. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Just for fun, look up some Noir Fleurir songs. Their bassist did the greatest backing vocals ever, though their lead singer was nothing special. Here's one:

11. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Why not someone already in the band take one of the vocal roles too? Then you don't have to complain about pay and getting along with people. But if it is his band, I don't see why he can't call the shots on who joins.

12. my current band has that screamer and singer arrangement with two guys.
    it works very well for us. means they can overlay parts live, they both write lyrics.
    there is no problem with it for us.

Edit:
    niether of them play in instrument in the band either.

13. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Neither of those bands are metal at all, but I think you have a point.

Having 2 contrasting vocal styles can be really cool for heavier music. There are more than a few bands around here with 2 singers. For some reason it almost always ends up being one "lead" screaming and a guitarist or the drummer doing clean vocals.

14. NielsBass

NielsBass

Apr 30, 2010
    I seriously believe Japanese people are secretly aliens after watching that video...

15. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    As long as you are fair with the balance of support and lead for all members, should work fine.

16. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I've been wanting to post in this thread, so here goes...
    It can go really well, blah, or really terribly. What I mean is that it depends on the chemestry between the two vocalists. If there are no ego issues and they mesh in the material it is a great thing.
    IME one of them either plays an instrument or leaves the stage when not performing in a song. A great example (though far from metal) is The Eden House. They have multiple female singers, and are an amazing band.

clicky

(That's Tony Pettitt on bass. Killer...)

17. jordy_on_bass

jordy_on_bass

Jul 6, 2010
    Australia
    http://www.myspace.com/withintenttodestroy

Check these guys out. They had two guys doing vocals, one guy had more of a roar to his voice and the other had a screechy growl to his (this guy also did clean vocals). Were a great band and looks like they are getting back together as well!! Not to mention that their bassist is phenomenal too, he is known around melbourne as the best bassist going in the heavy rock/heavy metal circles.

There also bands like Chimaira, Slipknot and Trivium that have other members in the band doing back up screams and it sounds pretty sweet. In some bands that I have played in, I have done some back up screams and from what I have been told, it has sounded pretty good. I am not ready or willing to take that leap to both play bass and do lead vocals though, my voice suffers terribly after gigs sometimes so it is obvius I am doing it wrong. I think it stems from not using my diaphragm properly because of the bass hanging off me as I have no problem doing the vocals standing straight. And I wont do vocals either, bass comes first for me. :)

While I respect the idea of mixing clean vocals with screams, I wouldn't personally go with a clean/screamer duo vocalist line up. I would prefer two guys that have varied screaming vocals like the band I provided the link to. Mind you, there is a band called Sonic Syndicate which has both a clean singer and a screamer doiing the vocals and they rock pretty hard...they also have a chick bassist.

My opinion, if you can find the vocalists and make it work, then go for it. If it is original enough, you will be successful.

Cheers,
    Jordan

18. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    It seems pretty common in UK hardcore like TRC and Ninebar, come to think of it.

19. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    It's another creative idea on the plate! In my band, having 2 singers works a treat :)

20. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wow, you guys were helpful beyond my wildest dreams!! :hyper:
    I didn't know ideas like this one were so commonly successful. I have considered doing backup screaming, but I also believe I am not doing it right, as my voice will commonly cut out halfway through a scream. I am gonna have to check out those links when I get home from work (jerks blocking YouTube and all the good sites....). Keep the comments/experiences coming, they have gotten me kinda excited to try this idea out!!:bassist: