1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U.S. Masters EP5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Do any of you have experience with this bass or company?

It sounds too good to be true. A U.S. made bass for less than a G? The reviews on the website positively gush about its sound and playability.
    [​IMG]

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i've heard they are pretty nice, but the shape just doesn't float my boat personally. but yea, they do look like the deals are too good to be true.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    hideous, but its about tone and playability. TRY ONE.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I almost sprung for one but am happy with my TRB1005 now! The single P pup bothered me so I cancelled my order! The shape doesn't bother me! There are worse designs on higher end basses!

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Got two of em, they also do an ep6:D , US Masters are extremely well crafted basses, The shop is about an hour and a half from where I live, It's ran by two brothers with one other assistant and their attention to detail is just amazing. They have a few patents under their belts and even the great George Clinton has visited their shop when he was in Madison. They also do "ghostwork" for a couple of big bass & guitar manufacturers because of their detail work. You will not be dissapointed in this bass, the pickups are designed by Ken Lawrence and are VERY powerful, that bass is a slap monster,

6. yeah I have NEVER been a fan of Precisions or their pickups. So that gives me pause. I would hope to see a dual jazz or a MM style humbucker. I have just HAD it with all the Korean basses flooding the market. I tried a L2000 "tribute" (more like travesty) it had a terrible fret job that pinched my fingers. And the quality of the wood was just, well it should've had an opaque paint job. I am determined to get an American made bass and not spend a mint. Its either this or a used Bongo or other 5 string MM.
    As far as esthetics go, Some of the MM color combinations make me hurl! And the butcher block look is just a little too "dead" for me. And if I offended any dead heads. Good.
    Ther is something to be said for rocking a unique bass. It actually looks a little like my Ovation Magnum without all the aluminum, chrome and plastic.

7. markman

markman

Dec 19, 2003
    ILL.
    I had one of their guitars, and thought it was very well made. The pickups on the guitar were actually made by Bill Lawrence.

8. I've played several of them. They have nice neck feel, nice balance, sound great and are a great bang for the buck. They also have several pickup/preamp options. I just cant get over the body shape. IMHO, they have everything else nailed, why not offer some different body designs :eyebrow:

9. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I've played a few fretted and fretless 5's of theirs...The craftmaship was poor on a few, especially where the neck meets the body and the tone was something I couldn't really get into...I'd hate to say it, but it was very reminiscent of a..........WISHBASS..............

:bag:

10. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Reminds me of a Surine.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've tried one of their basses in a shop one time and was impressed. My brother has a strat by US Masters and he swears it's the best strat he's ever played (and he's played a lot and owned a few, too, from Anderson to Fender to G&L).

12. [​IMG]
    So I found their website. Not all ther basses have that "wishbass" finish. They also have a lot of endorsers. Especially in the C&W genre. Which isn't my cup of tea, but I figure those Nashville types are better sticklers for tone than say, the bassist of Korn or Limpbizkit.
    Funny that some of you found issue with their neck joint. That is the detail they are most proud of! And the electronics are pretty intruiging...Hmm I might have to save up and get one made. Their customs are the price of other companies stock models.

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Sorry for whoever got one that had any noticable flaws, every one I've ever seen was impeccable(did I spell that right?LOL). They are also truly stand up guys and great to work with, hey I suggested they get into building 6's and the very next year they were, now I'm not saying I MADE 'em do it but......

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I wonder why they offer 5 guitar styles, and only one for bass. :confused:

15. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Because basses all sound the same, and all bassists have to do is play the root note anyway, so feel doesn't matter. Don't you ever talk to guitarists?

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dig em for the most part, some odd curves here and there but thats okay.

17. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I have one of their top o' the line 5 strings (ep55) that's pretty darn fancy. It sounds and plays great. Also of note, it's really light, but doesn't sound really light. I think it's 7.8 lbs or something. That's sweet after a loooong gig. It's definitely my 'hi-fi' bass though. There's nothing vintage about any tone that comes out of it. I have a jazz bass for that. I can't speak for the model in the picture but the bass I have of theirs is really nice. It records well too. cheers.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any pics of yours?

19. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Here ya go....

Attached Files:

• usm.
      usm.jpg
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The higher end models are a lot more attractive than that single P model. I may spring for one at some point.