1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ugh. No tech support on Christmas Day! (Audere install question)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Merry Christmas! Opened up my new 4-band Jazz bass preamp and since Audere isn't open today, I was hoping one of you experienced Audere gurus could answer what I hope is a basic question. Instructions call on marrying the bridge ground, cavity ground, and the white/gray where from the pre. My jazz bass pickups have hot, common, and ground wires. Where to go with the extra two grounds? Stuff them in the ferrule too? (I am just being impatient, I know Audere can answer these but I hope one of you has experience with this...)

Anderson McCant likes this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Pretty sure that answer is yes. I had an Audere preamp a while back with Nord pups that had the third wire and that’s what I remember doing with it.

3. In reality you can ground them all in separate places, but try to keep it as simple as possible.

add: Just had a look at the preamp online & obviously "series" does not apply.

directly from Audere's instructions:

upload_2017-12-25_18-49-41.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Guiseppe likes this.
  4. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    For the time being, I sent the cavity and bridge ground along with the ground from the preamp and crimped them together in the ferrule per Audere's instructions. Since the extra black pickup wires are going to be either ground or common, I'm going to send those to the cavity "lug" - a ground is a ground, right? I figure that if I have scratchy controls I'll know I likely have the common/ground wires swapped and it should be an easy enough fix.

5. That depends. Is the lug going to be electrically connected to the same ground as the control plate?

I assume by lug you mean a ring terminal:

172065_primary_225px.

If you have copper shielding & it overlaps the control cavity, you're golden:

jazz-bass-assembly-800x600.

Otherwise you'll need to run a wire from that lug to a ground point on the control plate.

6. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Should have been more specific. I was thinking of the 'lug' with the screw, here. IMG_4780.JPG

7. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Now that you mention it, I DO have some ring terminals in the garage. Since there's only 4 ways this can be wired (assuming my ground is good), I figured I'd just do my tests tonight and see if I can get this working...otherwise I'll be waiting for Audere to contact me.

Anderson McCant likes this.
  8. I don't see any connection between the ring terminal & the control plate.
    If there is none, you might want to run a wire from there to the jack's sleeve.

Did you check for continuity (or resistance) of the black wires to the white on the pickups?
    or did you just notate which was the shield wire when you disconnected them?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  9. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Certain Audere preamps connect the pickups in a floating or differential fashion. That would require the minus side of each pickup to be connected to the PC board terminal, and NOT to the common ground that eventually leads to the output jack sleeve. Commoning up all pickup minus sides and bridge ground and shield/ctl plate ground could actually lead to increased hum and noise with these units. If you are not sure which unit you have, and don't understand the instructions provided, please wait until you can talk to the folks at Audere to clarify this.

Merry Christmas!

10. If you take a look at the photo, it's clear that a black wire from each pickup is going into the green connector on the Audere board.

11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Indeed, and this is what I remember about the Audere installation I did a while back with the Nord pups. Once those were wired to the connector block (love those solder less connections!), I ran the ground wire to a grounding point in the bass.

12. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    You can download the installation instructions on their website.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I add an additional wire to connect all of those together.

14. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Absolutely, it would be a five minute job if not for determining which of the 2 black wires off the pickup were ground and which were common. It's an older product (still very good!) so I guess I can't expect updated documentation all the time.

15. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I did, along with reviewing the copy of them they sent (before I posted here as well). They weren't applicable to my question.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  16. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I wound up doing the simplest testing possible. I plugged one of the black wires from each pickup into the Audere board and just left the other wire in the air. Plugging in, I tested each pickup; I had the neck pickup right but the bridge pickup wires reversed. I swapped the black wires on the bridge pickup and tested (by playing and checking the volume); good to go!

(I had already read the instruction on installing the pre but didn't check the wiring on my pickups until I opened it on Christmas morning. Sorry I didn't specify things a little better. I REALLY don't know why I didn't get one of these a LONG time ago!!!)

17. You haven't got a multimeter?
    I explained on the other thread how to figure out which black wire to use,,,
    but I suppose you figured it out

18. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I do! (but it's temporarily buried in a box, just did the move thing, y'know)

Killed_by_Death likes this.