1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ultimate Fender Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michaelprice83, Oct 17, 2006.

1. michaelprice83

michaelprice83

Mar 15, 2006
    I've done a few searches and have yet to see anything posted about these. Having one myself, I can attest to its quality construction and superior sound quality. This is a REALLY cool bridge for all you Fender guys....pricey but worth it IMO.

Check out Detempleguitars.com under the catalog section. I'm going to be ordering another one soon for my next P bass.

Attached Files:

2. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    So what makes it so ultimate?

3. michaelprice83

michaelprice83

Mar 15, 2006
    well, it does keep the vintage fender look which is really important to me, plus it sounds a hell of a lot better IMO than the 'badass'. oh, and its feather light......

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Looks interesting, but does it sound $115 better than a Wilkinson bridge?

What does the Titanium bridge sound like?

In what areas do you hear improvement over the stock Fender bridge? Sustain? Bottom end? Top end? Mid range?

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How exactly does it sound better?

Looks like a standard cheapo $20 bridge to me.

6. it looks like a piece of tinfoil, ill take a hipshot badass gotoh ets anyday over that. or even a better fender bridge, that thing looks like a piece. do i smell advertising?

7. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have a Wilkinson, and it's a huge improvement over the stock aluminum Fender bridges. Only cost 30$ too. That thing doesnt have multiple notches for string saddles and doesnt have guides for the trees to keep the saddles in place when playing.. seems less then wonderful.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Well Titanium is hardly in the same league with tinfoil. I'd still like to hear from the original poster as to how it sounds. $145 seems pricey, but if Titanium sounds superior to other metals,(steel, brass, aluminum etc.) it may be worth it. I do know that Mike DeTemple is highly regarded in guitar circles.

How about a detailed description of how the tone is improved by using this bridge.

9. michaelprice83

michaelprice83

Mar 15, 2006
    wow what a negative response from guys who have never tried the bridge. of course, it may not be for everyone, but like i said, a lot of people currently use the stock Fender bridge and prefer the vintage look. This keeps that look and also cleared up the sound of my P bass. It just what I was looking for. I'm sure there are other happy users. I find high mass bridges to alter the sound of Fender basses and take away some of the woodyness, so this was a perfect solution for me.

10. michaelprice83

michaelprice83

Mar 15, 2006
    with this bridge, the woodyness of the Fender sound is retained and I also noticed a marked enhancement in overall clarity. I would say the lows are a little more crisp, but the general character of the Fender sound is retained, something the badass totally alters IMO.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I'm actually interested in this bridge myself, and agree that High Mass bridges do alter the sound in a negative way. What do I gain by using this over a stock Fender bridge? The stock Fender bridges are pretty woody sounding, especialy the vintage ones. Still don't know what I'm gaining over stock. Fill me in here. If I were to purchase this bridge, where would I hear improvements over a stock vintage bridge?

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Nothing against this bridge but I don't want the sound of my Fenders cleared up:D

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Thank you for that description. That sounds fantastic, but that's also about the same description I'd give to a Wilkinson (also retains stock appearance ) upgrade, for substatialy less money. Not trying to be a wizeapple here, just trying to decide wheather it's worth the extra cash over a Wilkinson.
    [​IMG]

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    now put some grooves under the saddles and we can start to talk :smug:

15. michaelprice83

michaelprice83

Mar 15, 2006
    I took an hour or two A B testing the stock Fender bridge with this one, and found the Titanium to be more responsive and clearer all the way around. Definitely more highs and lows jumping out at me and I just don't hear any mud.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

What era Fender bridge were you using for compairison purposes? Current production? 70's?, pre- CBS?

17. What did you honestly expect with a price like that? If I were to judge it simply by looking at it, I would say that it was at most worth $20.00.

While I'd love to believe you that it's the "ultimate" Fender(-style) bridge, I doubt I would notice such a drastic improvement that would warrant the upcharge when compared to the stock bridge.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What Fender bass are you currently useing this bridge on?

Stock Fender covers a lot of groud. Are we talking Made in Mexico, Pre- CBS or something in between? Once agian, not trying to be a Smarta##, just trying to get a reference point here.

19. EunosFD

EunosFD

Jun 7, 2006
    MD
    DeTemple is highly regarded in guitar circles for their botique Fender-inspired creations & also their Ti replacement bits such as this bridge. Everything they make is quite pricey, but from what I understand it's worth it. I've been tempted to get one of the Ti trem blocks for my CS Strat, but for around $250 or so it's definitely a tough decision to make.

If anybody cares to check it out there is a big'ish thread over on The Gear Page about DeTemple stuff (mainly guitar-related though, but no doubt the bass stuff is equally nice):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=176471

20. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    +1.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021