1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ummm...I'll be damned!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buster Brown, Oct 7, 2010.

1. thats definitely interesting

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Ummm...why?

3. Well, it's like "Why didn't I think of that"....not really too hard to figure out..

4. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I don't really get it. Why not just attach a long spike where the strap button is and be done with it? All that body does is allow playing the bass upright and to me, 350 is a bit steep for that.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    i think it's an awesome idea at an awesome price. if i had a P bass and didn't have a dean Pace, I'd consider it. some singer/songwriters like the upright vibe and having toys like that can get you more gigs. even if it sounds nothing like an upright.

6. Ooh, I remember this. The guys in the DB forums were laughing at the idea. I think it's cool.

7. Title of the ad should be changed to "How to ruin you Precision Bass".:bag:

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Actually you are not ruining anything...you're using your neck and electronics...all of which can be put back should you not like the finished product . Kudos to the inventor for trying something different. Not my thing but nice to see just the same..

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    It could be a good idea, if you would be into that kinda thing, but the body style on that thing is pretty ugly.

10. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Why not just hold your precision upright?

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Doesn't come with a gig bag, then?

12. Seems like a cool "novelty" idea. Personally I like toys.

I wonder if it sounds any different than the P Bass you started with?

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    In 1951 Leo Fender freed bassists from the Doghouse, creating an ergonomic, efficient and portable low end solution which revolutionised contemporary music.

60 years later... the Doghouse strikes back! That's right, all of the awkwardness of a double bass but with none of the tone. We've taken the finest aspects of the double bass and put them to one side and brought you what's left. Only $350!

Step right up!

:bag:

14. Because then you couldn't do the cool spin you see all the upright players do when they're getting into it ;)

15. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    What bothers me about this is that the entire concept is reinforcing the erroneous notion that the only difference between an upright bass and a bass guitar is playing position.

We often see threads here on the bass guitar side of TB about "which bass guitar gets you the best upright sound" (Rob Allen usually wins). This $350 gimmick isn't going to get you anything like an upright sound... just an upright "look" (sort of). I'm not sure what that's worth musicially. I know for myself it sure isn't worth $350... I'd rather save that toward an Eminence or BSX Allegro, and have a true upright sound in my arsenal.

16. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    somebody in Oregon is just copping a Barker Bass

[​IMG]

Lee has been making these for years.

all the best,

R

17. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I would not have a problem with Larry Hartke applying his propane patina to this bass.

18. ingo62

ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
    I would prefer to leave my Prec as it is and get a new Stagg EDB or a used Palatino for that money!
    Both have the correct scale for an EUB. ;)

Greetings
    Ingo

19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Great! So now I can have an upright that doesn't sound like an upright at all, and a p-bass that doesn't sound like a p-bass ... all in one big, ugly package! ;)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021