Unbalanced string volume

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Logan Taylor, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Logan Taylor

Logan Taylor

Jul 28, 2019
    I have just ordered a Mexican made Fender Precision bass and my A and G string are Very weak almost unable to hear when playing with a band. I’ve messed with my EQ settings and that didn’t seem to work. I play through a fender rumble and usually play a Jackson but I decided to splurge on a new bass and am kind of disappointed about the difference in volume of the strings

2. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    How are the Pickups set ?
    If you use the screws to set them closer to the A and G string, they should get louder.
    It can be difficult to get a perfect balance on a P Bass IME, but close enough for rock'n'roll should be possible.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    And move the other side further away.

4. I'm in the camp too of playing with your pickup height. I set my main P bass strings at a 7.25 radius to match the frets, and set the spacing at 7/64, which is the norm. At that point I start playing, and tweak the pickup height to get the strings even sounding.

As stated, to get the E and G strings to sit in the mix better, either move the pickup closer to the strings, or move them down and away from the A and D strings.

Keep in mind if you were running active pickups on your Jackson, the passive P bass pickups are going to sound different, especially if you had an active 2 or 3 band EQ. You can either tweak the pickup height setting, which will get an even response, or go with a set of active pickups, like EMG's, or an active preamp.

Good luck, and ask more questions if you need help.

5. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    It's actually a quite common issue, adjusting the pickups properly should be able to if not completely then at least mostly fix the problem, to a point where it won't really be an issue anymore.

I had the same problem with my P/J bass.

A proper pickup adjustment almost removed the issue, though the A string is still slightly weaker than the rest of the strings, and I can't raise the lower part of the upper half of the P pickup under the A string further without the D string clanking against the edge of the pickup chassis when played further up on the fretboard.

Just overall lowering the pickups to be able to get the side of the pickup under the A string further up in relative terms is not an option either as the E string side of the pickup is already set really low or without messing up the balance of the other strings as well.

I did manage to completely balance the other strings as far as I can hear though, and the A string is only minimally weaker than the others now, to a point where it is not really a real issue anymore.

My best bet is that a proper pickup adjustment will solve the issue you got.

Though I do kind of wish that all pickups had been equipped with adjustable pole pieces like it's the case with DiMarzio's Model P and Model J pickups.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021