Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Under Aged playing in Clubs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have a question about under aged people playing in 21+ clubs in various states. In Washington it's legal you just have to take your breaks outside and that's not realy enforced.

I'm 19 and I am auditioning for a band that tours a fair bit and I was wondering if anybody know the laws about this in other states? I have heard that it is illigal in Oregon. If anybody knows what a good way to find that information out I would really appreciate it.

2. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    I don't know what the offical law is in CA, but all the 21+ places where I've seen bands with underaged bandmembers makes the bandmember stay outside the bar until their set, they play, then back out they go. So make sure you band has a nice van for you to kick it in. =)

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Exactly. Back in the early 90's I used to play at Clubs all the time in LA when I was in my teens and that is what I had to do. It's cool because you can get girls to feel sorry for you and hang out with you. ;)

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure what the deal is in CT, but i seem to recall that if the player's parent(s) were there they could stay in the club.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i played in clubs before i hit HS....it was don't ask, don't tell with me....never got busted, never drank, but i was the most well off 13 year old around.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I played a battle of the bands at a bar when I was 15. I had trouble getting in for a while but once they realized that I was actually in the band and not just with the band they were fine about it.

I doubt most places will really care much. If you are the band and they said you would be playing then you'll probably be able to play.

At 19, I doubt you'll have any problems.

7. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    We've got this guy that occasionally sits in with us who is under 21. He brings his mother with him to the gigs. He is pretty good. She is a freak.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I started bar gigging at 16 when the drinking age was 18. I never ran into a problem, but I guess times were different then too!

9. I started playing in CT,NY and NJ bars when I was 19 (in the 80's), and it was cool. A bar is concerned with losing their license, and if you're not drinking, and just working it's not a problem. I would always try not to draw to much attention to myself setting up, and I didn't order a drink at any bar I was playing in. I just drank water and generally was not bothered. I think being cool can help out your situation the most. Peace

10. The drummer in my band is underage and we play all over the east coast. As far as the experiences that we've had it's been a pretty straightforward don't ask, don't tell policy. A couple considerations that keep us (and him) out of trouble:

Don't wander around the club with drinks. (Although nobody has a problem with it, there's no need attracting attention to it.)

No fights and stupid drunken behavior.

Other than that good luck, and have a great time.

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Tell ya when you will get caught doing this! If you have a under aged player in the band just dont let them ever ever ever try to get the under aged girlfirend into the club! That will always get you caught! I agree just dont bother to tell them that you are under aged! And dont try to get a drink either! Alot of the clubs here dont really try to id you unless you order a drink!

12. medicine

medicine

Dec 2, 2004
    Does anyone know about this law in Canada, especially in Toronto?
    Thanks a lot,

Peace

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I started playing clubs in CT at 14, so I know alot about this. You can play in a 21+ bar in CT no problem as long as a) you don't even TRY to order a drink b) make sure you don't try and sneak in underage friends c) if you're the opening band, once you're done you have to pack up and leave.