Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underage Guy in the Band!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Broncrider32, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    i'm starting to play with a band that is very good. They are all in their mid 20s and i'm 19. What are the rules on playing in 21 and over clubs and bars. Please let me know ASAP

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    well i doubt they'll care, unless you look 13. the laws probably vary by country and province/state. just dont try to buy beer and get kicked out or your bandmates will be very pissed off

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    That used to be me, too... and right now there are two 17-year-olds at our jam night.

So long as you don't try to buy alcohol, it shouldn't be a problem. Don't bring up the question with the venue - only deal with the problem if it arises.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    one of the guys in a band I'm in was under 21 (drinking age in Minnesota) we never had any problems with it.

5. I've been playing 21+ venues from the time I was 15 in bands with similarly aged members, and most club owners don't care as long as you aren't trying to buy alcohol and are behaving in a professional manner off stage.

Many larger venues, particularly in large cities, they tend to have their own rules though, and the owner might enforce them by making you wait in the parking lot during breaks or telling you to stay X amount of feet from the bar at all times, or not leave the stage until you're done playing. I never had problems with club owners concerning the issue (I've only been 21 about a month), but I've never looked under 21 either.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Here in Pennsylvainia, you are legally allowed to work in a bar at the age 18.

7. In the USA you are an "Adult" at age 18, but must be 21 to buy, consume or posess any alchololic beverage. Live by the rules and most bars will let you play.

8. im 18, my drummer is 31, and my guitarist is 23....what a mixed up band of ages we are.

anyways, i wouldnt know about over 21 clubs in the states as im from the UK but ive never had any problems here...they just see the size of my drummer and just assume were all about the same agae :smug:

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Your there getting paid to perform your job. If you were a plummer and were under 21 would they allow you to repair the sink? Don't say anything about and don't try to buy booze and it should never be a problem.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had this problem. It was this hole in the wall bar, and I had to wait outside until we were on. Then i had to leave. It was a place in Chicago. Crappy bar, crappy gig. Playing was fun, but the venue was terrible.

11. In Connecticut you have to be at least 18 to legally work in a bar. They are, however, private establishments and the owner has the right to hire who he wants. Long ago we had a 19 yr old drummer and it never got us kicked out but we were asked about it occasionally.