Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Undercover bag for NS EUB's

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Gorgula, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Can any of you guys who have this bag comment on its' quality/construction/padding etc.?

I'm looking for something significantly better than the separate bass and stand bags that come with the instrument (CR5M).

Is the Undercover case really tough? How thick/protective is the padding? Is there substantial padding between the stand pocket and the bass pocket? Any other comments?

Thanks!

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i have one, it's great. comfortable on the back,
    decent padding, tripod, bow, strings, tools fit easily.even a pedal or two.
    best part for me is the availability in bright colors.
    when i have gear like the ns out, i like to see it at a glance.
    only thing that i find as a drawback is that it's too big to fit in the
    stock flightcase with the bass inside it.
    these basses should come with the undercover case standard.
    cheers
    doug

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes very tough and a huge step up in terms of protection over the bag that comes with the instrument - the padding is very thick and before, I was getting dings/scratches all the time - but since having it - none at all!!

It is also , so much more convenient - easier to carry and put all your stuff in !!

If you want more views, do a search as this has been mentioned many times before around here...

4. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Thanks you guys.

That's some good info.

D.A.R.K., I'm with you. Seems like this case or a case on par with the instrument should come with it.

5. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just ordered one this morning. Can't wait to get it!

6. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Where did you order it from? What color did you get?

7. Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Black. All my gig bags are black. I got it from BassCentral.com.

8. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
  9. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Not sure I follow you, but if you're asking whether or not you will be able to fit the tripod stand and the endpin stand in the Undercover bag, you can. There is a separate side pocket for each one. I do it all the time.

10. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Sorry if I am unclear. I have mated the stand with the hip bolster from the endpin . What I would like to be able to do is merely fold up the legs and hip bolster and slide the whole assembly into some pocket or other. Ideally, I don't need to shorten the thing to get it into the bag, and can leave it adjusted so that when the legs are set up, the bass is at the right height for me.

11. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Oh, I got it. Yes, I think that should fit. I don't know about being able to leave it extended though. You may need to shorten it to fit it in the pocket.

12. Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Very interesting. I attached my tri-pod and this works great. (Although the 180 degree thing is a bit too unstable for my tastes. :eyebrow: )

Also, it fits nicely into my Undercover NS case with no problem. Very cool :cool: . Thanks.

13. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    It shouldn't be any more unstable that way. Of course, you have to adjust the third leg so the bass tilts back toward the third leg.

14. For my two cents worth,

I,ve had my new CR5M about 3 months now and I soon realised that after I brought the bass with SOFT case home that my FIRST priority was to get this bass into a flight case and, after looking at the price to buy the NS/Flight Case, I soon made the decision to build my own.... Now it's been thrown around at baggage counters on airports / back of trucks and dropped by roadies and yes the bass is still in MINT condition.... IMHO go the distance and build yourself a Flight Case!!!!

Attached Files:

15. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Looks like a really nice piece of work, and something that you gotta have if you are planning to fly or use buses. However extreme overkill for local stuff.

NSD should step up and for a bass that retails for 3-5k, give you a gig bag that you would trust a Squire to.

16. kewleb

kewleb

May 18, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    HEAR HEAR!!! ;)

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hey POWER, that looks almost exactly like the road case that I have for my Azola. Mine has handles on the ends, and wheels on one end, so it follows me around through airports and hotels. Mine's a bit more beat up from road work, but the contents are still Springtime Fresh.

18. Yeh, Guys, I agree it's OVERKILL for local gigs however, I,ve been to my local Luthier and have seen the damage to uprights and sticks caused by some arse**** who you've left in charge of packing up YOUR precious gear. At least once I've packed the bass away.... I rest easy knowing that unless it's going under a semi.... it should be right for the next gig! By the way I,ve got the same (except F/Glass Flight case) for my d/Bass... just takes the worry out of transportation!
    Yes Marcus, I priced the NS Road Case and nearly had a Heart Attack, Down Under they want $750.00 Aussie. I built the above with all Catches & as you can see Lid Case ...Way to go the whole lot fits together like a Jig Saw. I have not worried about wheels as it's not heavy,.... just a bit bulky..
    \My total costs for ALL Parts... $155.00 Aussie...+ My Labour!!! and that was free! :hyper:

19. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Bump for Undercover gig bag from Bass Central. Mine arrived today. I don't know why I waited for so long. My NS will be much safer now.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    How'd I not see this one...oh yeah, I live over on the darkside in EBG's....

:bag:

The Undercover/NSD bag is my "baby" from my former life at Bass Central. I loved the bass, despised the bag it came with, so got in touch with my friends @ Undercover and had them make one for us (with the help of a customer/friend that lived near Undercover in Denver). It worked perfectly, so we ordered 'em by the boxload and started sellin' 'em.

The stand won't fit in the side pocket without folding it up, sorry Funkateer. However, my method to combat the "trial and error" stand setup is to mark on the tripod with a Sharpie where I want everything to line up. That way when I go to set up, I can get it EXACTLY the way it was when I folded it up. Can't take credit for the idea, I stole it from a drummer I worked with...they're good for something occassionally!

;)

If anyone has any specific questions about the Undercover/NSD gigbag, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help you out, even though I am no longer selling them.