Uneven volume on Jazz Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basgubben, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Basgubben

Basgubben

Dec 28, 2007
    SWEDEN
    Both my Jazz Basses tend to sound a little too loud on the E-string. I have adjusted the pickups so they are lower on the bass side, but still there is an annoying difference in output on E compared to A and D. Is there any "quick fix" for this. Today I have 45, 65, 80, 100; will it help if I changed to the E to a 95-string, that gave a lower output?

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Are you boosting your bass/low EQ a bunch at the amp or the bass? A major EQ boost below 110HZ will boost the first two harmonics of the notes below low-A, while leaving that A and notes above it relatively untouched.

Basically, is it a problem with an entirely flat EQ? Is it a problem in first position only, or all the way up the neck?

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I would try going "up" to 105 on the E...

a little more tension might "tame it down"

4. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    No easy fix, sorry. I could raise the E string a bit from the bridge. Or order a pair of pickups with staggered pole pieces. It's actually pretty darn stupid that most pickups aren't built that way.

5. Basgubben

Basgubben

Dec 28, 2007
    SWEDEN
    No, not boosting bass EQ. It's mostly around 7 to 11th fret on E.

6. Basgubben

Basgubben

Dec 28, 2007
    SWEDEN
    Is that so? Thought a thinner string would deliever less power...

7. jwtjr999

jwtjr999

Aug 29, 2010
    Texas, USA
    I solved that problem in my J bass by slanting the pickups... pickups closer to the strings on the "G" side; farther away on the "E" side. Not what I'd call an elegant solution, but it works.

8. You might want to check your volume knobs. On a jazz, when both volume knobs are set all the way up, there is a mid-range "scoop". See if it occurs with only the neck or only the bridge pickup turned up (and the other turned all the way down).

The pole pickups too close OR too far can be a problem, too. Too close, and the magnet influences the vibration, deadening it too quickly. Too far, and it won't pick up the tone as well.

If you have a Fender, you can check your set up specs as compared to Fender's recommendations listed on their site (here):

http://fender.com/support/bass_guitar_setup_guide.php

Otherwise, check with the manufacturer of your bass.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021