Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unexpected happiness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorrebop, Feb 28, 2005.

1. I went into Guitar Center to buy a wire to connect my amp to the PA and when I walked out... I had a Half stack. I have the behringer BX3000T annd the SWR Workingman 4x10. I know a lot of people dont like the behringer's but when you'r 13, money is hard to come by. (Can I still call my self thirteen to make make myself seem younger when my birthday's tomorow?)So I took It home it sounds great. I deffinately needed a new amp considering my last was a fender bassman 60. Anyway, I have a few quuick questions cause I'm deffinately not a technicle person. First, in the SWR, it has to imputs, in and out, does it matter where the cable goes in. Also, with the behringer being 300 watts and the SWR being 400 watts, how much is it pushing since its not the full load. (Behringer is 4ohms and SWR is 8.) Any help appreciated. Thanx.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The amplifier will put out a certain number of watts into an 8 ohm load, which is what your SWR cabinet is. The cab will handle 400 watts and draws 8 ohms of power. The head is rated to put out 300 watts at FOUR ohms, not 8 so it will not be pushing 300, I believe it pushes 165 watts at 8 ohms but I'm not sure. Regardless, 165 is more than enough for at home use and prolly enough for practice with friends. Were you to get a second 8 ohm cabinet and hook both cabs up to your amp you would then have a 4 ohm load on the amp and the decreased electrical resistance would allow it to generate the full 300 watts. Hopefully this makes sense to you... if not, ask more questions and I'll try to help if I can.
    Oh yeah, congrats on the new rig bro!

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I've had that same amp for about a year now, and I love it. The only changes I've made since I bought it is that I upgraded from a no name 2x10 to an Ampeg SVT410HLF and I took the amp out of it's box and rackmounted it inside it's own little plywood box and then in my rack case. I hope you're really happy with your new rig!