Untypical question from beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emzeta, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Emzeta

Oct 24, 2004
    Hello! (First of all sorry for mistakes, English is not my language.) I'm amateur piano player only, BUT! .... it is maby strange or totally unprofessional, but I love to play :eek: bass guitar sequences at this instrument. Since I was child the first thing that I enjoyed in all kind of melodies, was the bass. I started to learn :bawl: piano, not bass, but every melody- till today I play untypical :eyebrow: (complicated sequences- especially from live music or from a catchy title melody sound very convincing! :D ) and only some time ago I started to be interested in bass not only "in practice" :) , but theoretically too.

For me, bass was just stunning in the late 70's. Every simple song, or even a stupid theme sounded then incredibly good- because of the bass. WHAT WAS THAT? Was it GS-500 connected to Roland GR-500?? Is it possible to buy this classic set somewhere, or is it to see only in a museum...? I'm 25 now and I hope it's not too late for starting to learn playing bass. I'd like to play in the classic way, like in the late 70's. But how to do this? Is there some special set to buy? It is so hard to find in the internet any information about the technical aspects of the music from that periode...... Thanks for every answer ! !
  2. You're a bassist trapped in a a piano players body !
    You hear it in your mind, your left hand wants to play it, but not on those black & white keys. Your fingers want to feel those fat metal strings on a fingerboard. You want to bend them and slide them . . expressively. Go for it ! ;)
  3. What kind of price range are you looking at? In the 60's/70's everything was fender for bass. A vintage 60's era jazz or precision bass in decent condition is very expensive though. I would suggest starting with a fairly innexpensive 4 stringer to start. MIM (Made in mexico) fender's are decent starters, as well as essex, and squier. Check out http://www.rondomusic.net/

These would be very good instruments for a starter, untill you get a better idea of what is best for yourself. There are so many kinds of basses and amps out there, but the mim fenders, fender squiers, and essex are very good to begin with.
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Release your inner bass player!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Welcome to the dark side. Do not fight it; it is yoru destiny.

6. Not too late to learn bass. Your theory from piano will come in handy.

You need a Fender Precision Bass(P-bass) or Jazz Bass.(J-bass) I'd go with the Jazz. Get a mexi($300-350) or get an American Standard Jazz bass ($1,100?)

And you need an amplifier with some balls and booty and warm, organinc midrange.
  7. Emzeta

Oct 24, 2004
    Thanks for all your interesting & motivating answers, I will begin my bassist-career ;) tomorrow, because there is the night in Europe.
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I think that is a great song lyric, but I feel obligated to tell you that we also have night everywhere else.

Well, some extreme northern/southern points have some weird stuff going on, but hardly anyone lives there, so let's just leave them out of it.
  9. Emzeta

Oct 24, 2004
    Thanks! You can compose some song and use this words. I give you the copy rights- absolutely free! :D :D :D