1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unusal Thump in Only One String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 92FIGMO10, Jul 30, 2012.

1. 92FIGMO10

92FIGMO10

Jul 9, 2009
    Hey. I have an MTD Kingston Saratoga 5-string bass. I've had it for a little while now and it is perfect...except for one thing. The A string does not have the sustain or liveliness that all the other strings do.

I replaced the stock strings, didn't like that set, and put the stock strings back on. This is when I first noticed the issue. I thought maybe the strings were just old, etc., so I got a new set...same issue. I've looked at the instrument from the tuner, to the zero fret, and to the bridge and cannot spot any reason this should be occuring.

Any one else experience this issue with a bass? What would be recommended? A professional setup perhaps? I'd like to see if you guys can help me out before I go rambling to a professional for what could possibly be an easy fix.

Any help is appreciated!

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Are you experienced at changing strings? There is a proper method and if you don't follow it you may have problems such as: a twisted string, outer wrap has become loose around the core, strings don't break cleanly over the saddles and nut/zero fret.

The symptom you describe points to a string issue.

3. 92FIGMO10

92FIGMO10

Jul 9, 2009
    I would consider myself very experienced in changing strings. I've played bass for 4 years and have changed strings a million times. I've never encountered this issue before.