Upcoming beginner gig

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rangerz715, Feb 19, 2004.

1. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, sorry mods if I made the wrong choice. I just started playing bass a few months ago and don't really know too much. In school I'm part of a percussion class and were gonna be playing a small little concert around the first week of March. For a couple songs I'm gonna be playing some bass and just wanted some ideas on how to play it.
    -The first song is just really E A D C over and over again. I know I can just keep on playing the same notes but that getts kinda boring. I remember reading about playing the root and the fifth, so how would that work in this case? Or what else would I be able to play still staying with the E A D C?

-The second song is with harmonics and I can really play anything I want. Is there any interesting stuff I could play that sounds good but is still pretty simple?

Thanks so much guys. I would appreciate any advice.
  2. Hi, I'm a starter too, but sence im guessing you're in the key of C, then this shouldn't be to hard. E A D C are the chords right? and if they are then you should have some time to manuveur around them *don't play just whole/ quarter notes, makes you look like a poser*

im not sure how fast ur playing, or realy wat ur playing so i cant help u too much but here it goes:

take from the E string and do a run up to the A in time, so like E - F - G then to A. now from your A to D; go from A, back down to G real fast, then go up to the D skipping some notes.

just fool around with different notes in runs, acending and decending, dont do the same thing repeatedly too. also, dont follow the scale, skip around it, and if you're confident enough go up the neck and have fun!

3. Thanks for the advice... We practiced today and I tried the scale things, but I wasn't so great at it. I started playing around with octaves and it sounded pretty good. Tomorrow one of my bassist friends is gonna help me out with doing the root, 3rd, 5th and 7th so I hope that goes well. Any other advice is still appreciated.
  4. I am assuming a 4 string bass here...?

Don't try to get to fancy on that first gig. You may utimately embaress yourself. The simplest thing will sound good and give a good bottom to the sound. (Nobody plays simpler then me, but I am accurate.) That being play the root of the chord. If the current chord is E and the next change is to A , and you are playing E on 2nd string 7th fret .... approach the A chord one beat before the change by playing 3rd string fifth fret, then hit the A on the change on third string 7th fret. For a change during the song, approach a lower A the same way by using a 2 beat approach. 2 beats before the change to A, hit B then B flat on the first string 7th, then 6th frets, and hit the A on first string fifth fret on the change to the A chord.