1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Update 12/5/11

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by jmjbassplayer, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
  2. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Bravo! All the accolades are well-deserved. Can't wait to hear the Neon Trees offering...

3. Wow, nice! Congratulations!

4. Awesome!! Congrats!! Are you working with JJ Puig at Ocean Way?

Any new fun-ness for your personal recording space?

5. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Congrats, JMJ!

"Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" is definitely my favorite release of 2011, too, backed up by "King of Limbs", The Drums' "Portamento", Duran Duran's "All You Need Is Now", and Mutemath's "Odd Soul". You have definitely earned the accolades and put in the time and attention necessary for any classic album. I really hope that M83 leads the charge and revitalizes the smart synth-pop genre for future artists.

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    No, no JJ Puig up in my business, except when he comes by my room to say hi. I'm the producer. :)

Yeah, buying tons of new gear for my new studio, it's exciting, but also expensive and ridiculous.

Best,
    J

7. Well, at least he comes by to say "hi." Ha ha. That guy is one of the kings to me. SO much good work. I was thinking about him the other day when The Greys record came up on shuffle. Ye gods!! 8^O

No kidding!! You'll have to post some pictures and give us a run down when you get up and running. I know I'm always interested to see what people are gravitating to with so many options out there. I've been thinking about snagging a pair of those Golden Age mic pres for the studio one of these days because they are surprisingly NOT that expensive. I friend of mine used them for a bunch of tracking that I just mixed, and I loved 'em on those tracks. Kind of Neve on a budget. Well, my budget!! Ha ha.

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Holy Cow JMJ, congrats on all the success from and with M83!

9. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    I've been waiting for new Neon Trees - bring it on. And congrats on your accomplishments and for giving us the free M83 download - still on my top 10 iXxx playlist

10. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    THANKS VERY MUCH!!

11. I agree Justin that many of us gear heads would love it if you took some shots of your studio as it progresses as well as hearing what gear you chose and why. If you are too busy we'd all understand but if you don't think people would be interested you'd be wrong! ; ) JMJ gear info is an excellent way to spend a few moments!

12. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I'll snap some pics, yo!

13. iceberg

iceberg

Oct 30, 2006
    Silver Lake, CA
    Congrats on all the success and the new spot!! Your thriving continues to inspire/influence ours more than you can realize!

14. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes...PICS, PICS, PICS of the new studio!

15. Cough... umm.. PICS JUSTIN PICS PICS PICS!!!! Dying to see and hear about the gear in the new studio!

16. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    hey say hi to brandon and the rest of the Neon Trees for me. i took his spot in Joshua James' band when he joined the Trees. Good guys (and gal) all of them.