Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Updates at BassTasters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Nov 4, 2003.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    www.basstasters.com

BRAND NEW:
    Aguilar DB-924: almost as good as the sadowksy
    BBE BmaxT: great tube preamp w/ enhancer
    BBE Bmax: quick preamp w/ enhancer
    BBE DI1000: enhanced DI
    BBE di100x: great sounding DI

Lots more coming soon:
    sadowsky pj
    iamp 800
    lots of effects
    fender 60's jazz

let me know what you're dying to hear and i'll try to find it...

Thanks for checkin it out

Todd

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Great site! I would love to hear a EBS pre. Classic or V-2.

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Cool, I just ordered a BMAX T yesterday. Sounds very good on the site.
    Thanks V.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Not to speak for Todd, but there should be an EBS classic up there in the nearish future.

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Cool, I just ordered a BMAX T yesterday. Sounds very good on the site.
    Thanks V.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd agree with that, to my ears the DB924 had the tighter bottom end. Just goes to show you that everyone hears things differently.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'd agree with that too - the 924 was more tube-ish and had a tight bottom. But i preferred the freq centers of the sadowsky for live playing, and the balanced out was really nice to have. Also the construction of the Sad seems miles ahead of the Aggie.

Like you said - personal preference! :)

you're right DW, the EBS will be up soon!

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You're right, if the DB924 was in a slightly smaller package and had a DI out I'd be using one today. I wouldn't be surprised if Aguilar came out with such a beast in the near future - I remember someone hear saying they talked to Aguilar and they alluded to as much.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nothing really to add,

other than to note that, Van, your avatar head slams waaaaay faster on my friend's mac! :eek:

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    And the Sadowsky warranty is tranferable... whoops, wait, wrong thread... :)

11. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Van....

Can you expand a little on the EQ settings you used for the BMAX & BMAX T sound clips? Did you have the sonic maximizer or the compressor on?

I'm thinking about getting one of these & while I can hear the difference between the tube & SS versions, I think I prefer the solid state. What are your thoughts? The solid state is a bargain.

BTW...Your site is great. Keep up the fantastic work. The only thing I would add is a picture of the preamp settings.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'll be adding the EQ settings shortly when I get a chance. The maximizer was on, although the compressor was only on for the slap clips.

As far as SS preamps go, the Bmax is a great deal for what it delivers. I preferred the bmax to the bmaxt, as I normally favor clarity over tubey fatness. The bmax is incredibly quick and tight with a lot of punch. The bmaxT has that same idea, but with a lot of tubey warmth that tends to get a little blurry.

Thanks - glad you like the site! I just added the EBS Classic 1 as well...

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Ampeg SVP-BSP.

Thanx.

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Can you please test the Mesa Boogie Walkabout... if anyone's willing to lend one? I'd love to hear how that one sounds!:bassist:

PS great site!

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Using my Sennheiser headphones, I did a quick recheck of my past favorites and the new additions...Van, you're right; that BMax is really nice sounding. I actually liked the non-EQ'ed clips better. The EBS Classic 1 was nice too, but didn't have the warmth of the BMax.

I may have to check into a trade of a BMax for my Demeter VTBP-201S. I think the BMax would complement the sound of my SR5 & Berg HT322 really well.

BigTime thanks for you guys' hard work on that website!

16. Wow! Ya'll added a lot since I checked you out at the start. Keeps gettin' cooler. I still like that Trace V-type the most. Had no idea used ones were $150. That's like free compared to those others which don't sound that remarkable for $1,000 up.

More importantly, have you guys gotten a write-up or blurb yet in any of the bass mags??? Damn shame if ya haven't!

:bassist:

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'll second the vote for the Trace V type. and I'm very surprised I did.

Cool site, thanks :)

18. DaDo

DaDo

Nov 1, 2003
    Are you guys going to focus entirely on pre's or will you expand to cover some of the more common heads that are out there? Head suggestions just in case: :D

Ampeg SVT-CL
    SVT-4 PRO
    GK 800RB + 1001RB
    Peavey Pro 500
    SWR SM-500
    Aguilar DB 359
    Fender Bassman 300

That should keep you guys busy for a few days :)

19. DaDo

DaDo

Nov 1, 2003
    Oops better include the Yorkville XS400H to keep the OX happy :D

20. I must be deaf.

I'm playing the Bass Tasters files through a set of floor standing JBL L40 driven by a Yamaha 60w power amp, from my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

I can't hear any difference at all between various samples. Especially so in the preamp comparisons.

Vanselus, what is the recording setup used between the preamps and the recording device? Is there perhaps an insufficient quality A/D, software, etc, that is not capturing the nuances of the equipment?