upgrade a squire?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phreddy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    i currently own a squire p bass and a small crate practice amp. i play in a small band and in the chirch prase team and have been playing for a while and consider myself an ok bass player. my parents said i could spend around 1000 on a new bass but reading a fiew threads on this website and am now confused, is a squire the same as a fender minus the electronics and craftmenship? if so would spending the cash for a new amp alone and maby upgradeing the pups and bridge be a good idea. this was my first bass and love how it feels. ive played a fiew other squiers and the action on mine is a crapload better than those plus ive been through alot with this bass and if i could make it work that would rock, if not i was considering an court corbow. any ideas?
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I upgraded my Squier. I put a new pickguard, new nut, and new pups.

For 1000 bucks you can get a real fender. Probably a Highway 1. Which are incredible instruments.

Go out to a music store and play every bass they have. Who knows you might find something you like.

3. i havnt modded my squier ever, and i dont intend to, not really worth severely upgrading, maybe putting in some EMG selects or cheap pickups or something; but nothing serious.

if i were in your position, i'd buy a schecter diamond j or something.
  4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
  5. phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    yea but i also need an amp, an amp that can compete with the guitar players 125 watt fender
  6. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Me personally, I say drop 7 bones or so on a righteous amp and then upgrade your bridge and pups. Fundamentally, your bass should be cool, right? When starting out in a rock band, your first priority should be volume. No matter if your bass is a $5000 custom Conklin, if it can't be heard, it doesn't matter.
    Also, I'm of the opinion that a name doesn't mean much. If the bass is good, then you can make it sing.
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are happy with how the bass plays, why upgrade it? Put the money towards the amp.

If you do upgrade, I would recommend pickups for the most bang for your buck. Keep the old pickups and you can put them back in if you sell the bass.

But I would still say get a better amp first and save the upgrades for later.
  8. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Pfft. Just give your guitarist a piece of sheet music.

No, for 1000 bucks, you can grab probably a Highway 1, and a Fender Rumble 100. You might need to bum some money off the rents, but aside from that. Not much.

9. Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    for 1 grand you can get a good used rig and bass that will last you a long while. maybe even mod your squire a bit too
  10. phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    but squier is the same neck and body as fender just diff. pups electronics, ect.?
  11. 311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    No, squier is lower quality woods and electronics. Pretty much lower quality all around. I would look for a used mij fender for around $400 and spend the rest on an amp. If you look hard you can score a really nice amp for $600. Just research as much as you can.

12. +1. It's possible to get a decent used rig for around that much. Certainly enough to compete with a guitar amp. The Fender MIJ is good quality, some people say it's just as good as the USA stuff and you can get it for much, much less than $1000 if you're looking in the right place. Then you have more money to spend on getting an amp. Although again, if you really like the way your Squier plays, simply tossing in some new pups and maybe tuners or a bridge would give you plenty of money to start building up a wall of sound.
  13. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    If you like your Squier ( and I like mine) buy a set of EMG selects( I love them) a set of tuners(they're really needed) and a pickguard (to make it look new) and you'll still have $900 left to dump into an amp.Get a used 810 cab ($350)and all the watts you can buy ($550)used.You'll sound like a monster.
    Unless you have a good job ,your not going to get this chance again for a long time.
  14. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=482546

There's a rig for $350 that can probably compete with the guitars. If there's a reason for him not to consider that, I'd like to hear it since I was considering to get that myself.

And as for upgrading the Squier, I'm sure half of the people will say yes and the other half will scream no. I personally wouldn't do it, but right now I've got major GAS for a MIJ Fender P bass special. If I were you, I'd find a good guitar that won't but a huge dent in what you have left, since then you can probably customize it.
  15. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    You can do a lot with $1000 if you look in the right places. For example, with just a quick peek in TB's for sale forums I found:

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass $550

and for the amp...

SWR Workingman's 12 Combo $250.

That's $800 plus shipping, leaving cash to spare. While your parents may not want to cough up loot to buy stuff through online forums, you may find similar deals locally. Check out Craigslist for your area (where are you, by the way?), and visit every local shop you can find.

Or, as others have suggested, there are upgrade options for your Squire that will leave you more cash for your amp if you are content with that.
  16. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I have several nice basses and last night I did a gig with my son's Fender Squire through a SWR 12" and of course a kickin PA - fat and woody - just like the ladies like it!
  17. phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    thanks for all the help but i still gotta wait till the parents get the tax refund.
  18. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, I agree with most, spend first on a rig, if you can land a decent bass also, go for it, but focus on a decent amp, and then maybe save up for a better bass later. there are plenty of basses used or new for 500 bones that would be good, and a combo of 100 watts/15 or 12 inch.

I still own my old squier, and IMO the neck, the wood, and the build quality are wayyyy lower than a fender, its just not worth upgrading.
  19. Yeah,Phreddy, sounds like your money would be best spent on an amp at this point. If you get a chance to play professionally you would have the tools you need. If your comfortable with your bass and like the way it sounds thats what counts.

I've owned many valuable basses in the last thirty plus years and the one I play almost exclusively now is a red '95 MIM Jazz I bought second hand for $125 four years ago. It's one of the best necks ever and after adding Dimarzio "J"s, vintage bridge and a white pearloid pickguard I have a good looking superb playing instrument.
  20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I've got an upgraded Squier P. Mods include a BA2 bridge, MIA pup and tuners, and a gold anodized picguard.

Next mod is a brass nut.

All mod parts were scored thru the TB classifieds for little or no $.

Total invested (including purchase price of the Bass itself) is $150. I won't bs you and say it blows away other basses, but it's darn impressive for a Squier.