Upgrading Bass rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gLaDiAtOr, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Been looking for a new bass rig for a while now. I currently have a Hartke 3500 and a Hartke 410XL. For me it's great but i'm wanting something with some more punchyness and tone. Don't get me wrong but the tone on the Hartke is pretty good but I want better. Something a bit more funkier for when I do that slap etc. I had a quick look on Ebay and found this:

It's a Mesa Boogie 1 X 15 and 2 X 10. What ya guys reckon about Mesa Boogie. Do you think it will get me the tone im after? Would it be alright to use these cabs with a Hartke 3500 for a while until I upgrade amp to something better? Is it a worthly purchase or do you think I should keep looking for something like Gallien Kreuger?

The type of music I play ranges from Rock to a bit of jazz for when im playing school music or those old classical songs such as supercala......... and I also like to slap a fair bit to songs such as aeroplane from rhcp etc.

Opinions would be great.

Kind regards Joe.

PS: Do you guys also know what kind of Mesa Boogie cabs they are?
  2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had both those for a while with a Hartke 7000 head...
    Ditched the hartke...always gave me problems...
    The cabs were pretty heavy, and I did't like the horn in the 2x10.
    I did replace a hartke xL 410, but ended up with Eden, which I found much more satisfying and tighter sounding

3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    IMO if you are looking for tone you need a new head.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say get a new head first. However, I would not recommend Mesa Boogie for a slap amp, but for fingerstyle and such it is completely aweesome. If you slap a ton, you may want to look into either a GK or a pre-power setup.
  5. J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Definately Pre/Power set-up! I have had ampeg, GK, Hartke Etc......I was amazed w/ the pre/power setup. I ran the Presonus Eureka paired w/ a sabddi- tone was amazing. Tons of options between the two. The eureka is highly clear tone with tons of shaping in the eq and compressor. I would use the bddi for some grit and tone shaping when needed.

btw my eureka is for sale if interested in classsifieds.

Good Luck!
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Those are Diesel cabs. I dont know about the year they stopped making them, but they are most likely a bit old (10 years?). I use a Diesel 1x15 and it is a great cab. About 82lbs though.
  7. Sure it isnt your bass? I think hartke and a musicman gives one of the best slap tones on earth! Those alumminium cones are slap machines!
  8. I currently have a Ibanez BTB400QM. Also, what do you guys mean by pre/power setup? Do you mean like a pre amp or?

Regards Joe.
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    He means a seperate preamp running into a dedicate power amp instead of a single head unit.
  10. Well what's a good preamp to get?
  11. Eden Navigator rocks. Love the tone I get out of it.

What are you missing from your slap tone? The highs, or the lows? Have you tried different strings? Go to roundwound steels if you're not getting the highs, or maybe to nickel if its too crispy currently.

The 410xl I wasn't so happy with, the 4.5xl with the mid driver was a MUCH better cab, more lows, AND more highs. The 410xl seems a very midrangey cab, not good for funk IMO.

New strings are worth a try, cheaper than replacing amps/cabs, but I think you will definitely have to replace that 410xl with a more full range setup before you will become happy.

12. Well I have taken up your advice and decided to save up some extra cash and probablt a qsc power amp of some sort and a pre amp and then see how that goes. Once that happens i'll porably sell the cab and get something such as Gallien Kreuger etc. But firstly I have to get a multi effects Board :oops:

Bosss ME50B here we come :)

Thanks for your help guys.