1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upgrading my mains? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by spacerust, Jan 4, 2012.

1. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    Im looking at getting some new mains in the next couple of weeks. Right now I have peavey pr15's. Yamaha club series? Opinions? Suggestions?

2. Yamaha Club Series work just fine. I have a pair of 15s that I have been using for a long while, never had a real complaint with them.

3. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    If you have at least one sub running, you may try a pair of EV LiveX 12's. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I've found I prefer the sound of 12" tops. I plan to purchase a pair for myself as soon as I can afford them.

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Going from a PR15 to a club series Yamaha is not much of a upgrade...if any.
    If you are staying passive, noticeable *upgrades* would be:
    Peavey QW2, EV QRX112/115, JBL SRX712/715, Yorkville U15, Yorkville E152.

Going active route:
    EV ZX5a, RCF ART722A, Yorkville U15P, Yorkville EF500P.

Any of those will give you a very noticeable upgrade to what you currently have....it's also a big jump in price.

5. +1 to all here especially - Yorkville

Would like to add that Peavey is pretty good sound for the price, Yamaha and JRX Series from JBL are just a slight increase in sound quality and durability.

I run Yorkville Elite Series For all my small and med sized indoor/tent gigs. they are kind of in between JBL JRX and SRX Series IMHO. And they are just one jump in price. Usually I cant tell the difference between Yorkville Elites and SRX Series JBL

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    JBL PRX for me. No heavy amps to lug around.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    We use JBL as well. I'm not sure what series though, but they sound great.

8. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    i'm not there, so i can't recall the name of them, but at my church, doing sound, i've run a 12 person band through, at very nearly max volume, and had nothing but crystal clear sound from them. all from a pair of self powered woofers, and four self powered PA amps. they were cheap too. i'll get names for you tonight after i finish running the sound for their night service.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The JRX have gotten some bad press here on TB...not my first choice but my buddy, Tim, bought a pair of the 2 X 15 (?) towers in a panic sale for cheap. As wary as I am, I'll give them a spin at our next gig.

The Carvin LS series is priced right and may present as something of an upgrade. I'd probably drop the extra $$ and go for the TRX enclosures, though.

Riis

10. look for some used qsc hpr series. the sound is crystal crear and the service from qsc is top notch. we have been very happy with our hpr 122i tops and hpr 181i subs. over 300 shows not one problem. its worth it to look for em. I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH QSC. just a very happy customer.

11. I like the sound of EV horns. I A-B'd them against several similar speakers and the mids and highs are much smoother and eaiser on the ears.

I use a pair of SX300's with either Peavey PR subs (if i'm going light) or Yorkville Pulse 18's and they do fine for small to mid sized rooms.

12. Carvin PM series 15" have been really nice mains for me.Light and tough and sound great.Have used them for two+ years and no problems.

13. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    whelp, as promised

we run 4x QSC K12's, and two QSC Ksubs. i'm in love with these things. they take every bit i throw at 'em and still have room to burn.

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm running 2 QSC K10's. They are small light and go deep. I also have a pair of fEarful 12 subs for loud dates. The system is smll but will hang with much, much larger and heavier systems. The ev live-x 12 is very warm sounding. Too much so for my taste. I don't prefer a 'baked in' vibe as I perfer to find my own house curve. To be honest, the K series has the same problem IF you run it in 'deep' mode. It isn't as exaggerted and it also has a defeat switch so you can turn it off- I do most of the time.

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    powered boxes like the K12s have a lot to recommend them these days; move to a digital board like the presonus studiolive that's taking over the club world and you get to leave a lot of stuff back in the garage.

17. I shopped and researched.. and shopped and researched... and so on.

I like the K12s.. the reality was that same room A/B next to a set of EV Livex there wasn't that huge a difference.

I called a few career sound techs, they suggested (for me) a used drive rack and new EV...

There are tons of really cool options that you can use in this realm.

18. gotmule?

gotmule?

Apr 24, 2008
    I have been using a pair of RCF Art312As for a few months now and love them! You can find them for a little less that $800 on eBay and they sound excellent and get very loud! They are a true bargain for their price.