Upright Bass Modeling

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skin, Oct 30, 2005.

1. skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Looks like I am joining an all acoustic group and they are interested in me being able to sound like an upright. I am considering some type of modeling pedal or a Line6 Vairax Bass. What are your experiences with these? Anything you'd recommend?
  2. the only thing that i have seen that does an ok simulation of an upright is the variax...not that good, but not horrible either...

actually a wish bass has a pretty good upright sound if you EQ it right...i'm not even kidding!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Learning to play upright for one. I did it, it's not TOO bad.
  4. try scooping ur mids some, helps for me
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree with Tim. Upright is a fun doggone instrument! Forget this modeling stuff and get one!
  6. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Try some light flatwound strings. You lose sustain and get that smooth sound which is closer to an upright. The black Rotosound nylons work well.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've heard people do this at close quarters and it is a nice distinctive sound - but nothing like Double Bass!! ;)
  8. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yep it's definitely not on the money, but it's closer at least.
  9. well, at least flatwounds are cheaper than a whole new bass...an upright bass at that! $$$$$!!
  10. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    You might try the following formula:
    Fretless-flats-Roland GK3B hex pickup-Roland V-Bass
    The V-Bass unit is AFAIK far more superior than the Line6,at least when you'd want to emulate an upright tone.