Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

upright neck

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by 1bassman20, Nov 3, 2005.

1. 1bassman20

1bassman20

Aug 19, 2004
    I need to refinish the neck off an upright bass. what kind of stain should i use on the neck, and what kind of stain should i use on the fingerboard to make it black again?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Welcome to Talkbass. It would be nice if you could fill out your public profile a little more. Someone will ask you sooner or later... :smug:

The neck can be finished with a coat or two of Watco Danish Oil- natural tone, or similar type self-drying oil. The fingerboard can be dyed black with aniline dye.. Fibbings or Tandy leather makes a suitable dye. However, if the board is naturally red-colored (rosewood) or striped ebony, you can also put a coat of Danish Oil on the board and skip the black dye.

3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Hey Nick,

I just had to setup an old JTL violin that had a dyed hardwood board. As it needed a complete plane, all the old black dye was off. I tried potassium permanganate, several coats actually, and got a nice result. I tried the pm as I figured it would penetrate more than dye.

Anyone else ever try potassium permanganate on hardwood boards?

4. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    I might point out for anyone who might want to try it, you will have to sign in blood to get it, and don't mix with other chemicals until you read up on it. :eek:
    Dwight

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's not that toxic, unless you plan on drinking it or doing some laps. I haven't used for dying boards... that's a very novel idea.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I bought it at Sears. It says Kenmore on it. I know it is nasty stuff...so isn't a lot of the stuff we use. Use care, gloves, eye's ears, etc. to be safe...