1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upright NOOB.......

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by soultrain1969, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hello to all, can anyone clear up my utter confusion about wolf eliminators? I recently changed strings and now my G string Bflat (predominantly), shakes and rattles no matter where I find it on the neck. Soooooo...I'll buy an eliminator. But will one do the trick or will I need a separate device for each offending string? Does this vibration carry through to the pickup (and amp) or is it just an acoustic volume issue? And is there anything I can use to seat the bridge flush against the body as the E/A foot has a slight lift off the body curve? And is this a major issue to the sound I get? I've had the bass about 5 weeks. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    I can't tell you about the wolf tone eliminator but as for the bridge foot, if you haven't done any bridge fitting and you need the bass playable I would strongly suggest taking it to your luthier. Bridge foot contact makes a HUGE difference in the sound. He may also be able to take care of the wolf note for you. I would expect any resonance driving the instrument accoustically to be picked up and amplified.

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    How about getting a lesson?? So much can be troublshot and/or fixed with a teacher!!

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Get the foot flush with the top and the bass well setup. Then if you still have the wolf, one eliminator will probably do the trick. Be aware that the bass may possibly lose some good resonance along with the tamed wolf tone.

5. Thanks very much for the advice. I'll get the bridge sorted and start again.