1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uptuning a 5-string Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yanxi, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. yanxi

yanxi

May 5, 2005
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 5-string bass and achieving C standard tuning by tuning the top four strings up by 2 semi tones. The other option is to downtune a normal 4-string bass but that would be downtuning 4 semi tones and it was really hard to play as the strings were quite floppy. So my question is, how viable is it? Will the neck be able to take it? I'm probably going to leave it at C standard tuning all the time.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you use the right gauges for the tuning you want and you set it up accordingly than you should be fine right? You can tune AAAAA if you want to with the right gauges and setup. If down tuning is giving you floppy strings and you're concerned about too much tension if you tune them up, that's because you can't use standard strings for non standard tuning.

3. Chad T

Chad T

Feb 10, 2013
    Indiana
    C standard would only be up a half step. Low to high you mean C, F, A#, D#, G#, correct? That shouldn't be a problem. Maybe drop a string gauge from what you would normally use for B tuning.

4. yanxi

yanxi

May 5, 2005
    !! you are right. I've no idea why I made such a gross miscalculation. Thanks for helping me see the light! XD

gebass6 likes this.