1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Ampeg BA-115 for $200. Buy or pass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jtaing562, May 31, 2013.

1. Jtaing562

Jtaing562

May 24, 2013
    The amp is in good condition. At $200, is it a good price or look for a better deal? Thanks now.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Brand new with warranty right now $380.00 free shipping. If you use the "old rule" of used being 1/2 of new that's $175.00. Draw your own conclusion?

3. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    I recently found a BA-115HP (the higher power version) for $75. That was about right for it.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

What year is it? If it isn't post 2011 you'd be better served avoiding it.

The BA series has a high failure rate, the extra $200 would be well spent on a new one with warranty.

5. Jtaing562

Jtaing562

May 24, 2013
    I'm going to take your advice and avoid this amp. I also heard that it has a hiss issue which I don't want to deal with. Thanks btw.

6. I'm gonna have to disagree with the nay-sayers here. I have one(bought in '09)) and it's a nice amp. Great tone, very reliable. As far as some supposed rep that the BA series has about a high failure rate, that only applies to the 600 watt model, not the 115. The hiss issue is easily dealt with, just a matter of unhooking the tweeter. Easy job. $200 is not too bad, you could probably talk them down.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Mine was a BA210 300w.

Sorry but the BA series does have a high failure rate, you will find more complaints on here about the BA series than probably any other line from any manufacturer. I have seen more than a couple threads about them. I will concede the fact that Ampeg is one of the biggest players in the game does contribute to the fact you hear about them failing more.

Mine was bought in 09 as well, easily some of the worst years for Ampeg. A high failure rate doesn't mean they all break, we aren't talking about Xbox 360's here, even in their worst years they HAD to make some keepers, they make too many for them all to be duds. I returned my BA210 for an 09 SVT-6Pro, it also had issues though not nearly as bad, prompted me to return the head within my 30 days. I stayed with Ampeg but I bought an American SVT.

Also, even if the tweeter was fine the price is steep, $200 would be fair from a music shop for a used one but from a private sale I would pay no more than $150. The hiss would only degrade the value further, as no tweeter is the same as hiss, it is still not 100% functional.

8. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    I had one for 10 years and the only issue I ever had was the cardboard port tubes in the back disconnected and started to roll around on the bottom of the cab. Reattached to the flanges and was fine.

It was a home practice amp however and rarely had to compete with a drummer. I bought it used in 2000 so it was an older SLM model i think.

9. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Still using mine, been through a lot over the years.
    I pulled the tweet, and wired a spkr jack on the back of the cab and on the chassis.
    Gives me more options as opposed to a straight combo.

10. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    The BA-115 I got cheap is worth about what I paid for it. It pops when the the power is turned off -- always a bad sign to me. It's a bit noisy, but sounds pretty reasonable in use.

I got it because I can always re-use the cabinet for a project cabinet if/when it fails. Or I might replace the power amp section with an inexpensive 250w/channel ClassD stereo module and have the extra 250w channel for an outboard cabinet.

11. Got my BA115 about a year and a half ago used. I scored it at what the music shop got it at on trade. It has been a great amp, the cosmetics weren't that great but, the amp has been perfect otherwise. It sounds good, works good, serves my needs, can hold its own with a moderately loud band ( I've used it up against 2 guitars, drums and vocals in a loud rock band). It's been on plenty a bar gig and will go out tonight. Playing a average size dive bar tonight and it should shine there.

Sit it down, plug it in, tilt it back, and just play.

I'd say if you can get it for between 150-175 depending on condition, you will be happy. There was a thread here recently about this amp vs a new TC or GK 115 combo with 250 watts and the Ampeg came out on top. They couldn't believe how the Ampeg's little 100W rating blew away the other in volume and sound.

I cannot comment on how it does with active basses or extended range basses. I only play passive P's or J's.

The only draw back I see with this amp vs the newer combos is the weight. This is the only complaint I have. It's a little awkward to carry.

Hope this helps.
    WG.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021