1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Gear, Need Advice... please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boonerstreet, Mar 1, 2008.

1. **Update, see post way below**

Hey all, I'm looking to buy an amp head and cab to replace a crate 100 watt combo amp and I could use a little advice about the used gear I've found at a local store. I don't think I need to remind you that I'm on a budget (hence the buying used part), and I do realize that I will not get a high quality sound out of cheap gear. Any help is appreciated. Here are the things that have caught my eye:

1. A Crate BFX-220H amp head for $220
    It's rated at 220 watts at 4 ohms and 150 at 8, going by what it says on the back of the amp. It's a little pricy, but if it's that much better than the others, I could make do.​

2. Fender BXR (model?: PR 286) amp head for $180
    Not entirely sure whether the model is BXR or PR 286. The store owner said about 200 watts at 4 ohms.​

3. A Kustom 200 (model: K-200B) amp head for $100
    This thing is old, but I figure if it has lasted this long it could last a little longer. The store owners said that it's about 100 watts (RMS) but they weren't totally sure. The 200 in the model name makes me question this, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Kustom amps. I found something similar on craigslist http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/590340841.html but the store is selling just the head. Going by this person's 100 watt description, I think I'll look for something else.​

4. Xtreme Audio 210 speaker cab for somewhere around $120 last time I checked, but there was no price tag today so I think I could bargain this price because of the following information.
    The store owner refered to this as a "kicker" because basically it's "A bass cabinet with car speakers in it." The impedence is 8 ohms, which gives me room to add on in the future and it's rated at 400 watts, max...something else, I figure I won't have a head that can push it past 400 watts if I'm using this cheap thing. This is the one I really need advice for. I really want a 210 cab because a 15" cab won't fit in my car and I have to borrow someone else's to go practice. It's a huge hassle so I'm really looking at a 210 setup, or possibly a 112. I couldn't find any other 210's in the store or any 112's. There was one huge 115 that's bigger than my current amp, so that's a no go.​

I'm researching all of these on the internet to look at price comparisons. I'm also going to take a look at guitar center to see if they have any used gear, but I doubt they will have anything in my range.

As for these heads, I would initially go for the Kustom, but the 100 watts throws me off. I want a little more. If it turns out it's 200 watts, I would probably go for it, but if it is like the owner said than I was thinking of going with the fender. As for the cab, the Xtreme Audio is the only thing I can find at the moment.

So do you guys/gals have any advice on my selection? Should I buy a new cab somewhere instead of the xtreme Audio? I tried to do my research at the store and I'm looking up this stuff for more info, but I would appreciate any information or experience about these amps that you can offer, especially the Kustom and the Xtreme Audio. Thanks for any help.

2. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Not to rain on your parade, but as for the heads if you're willing to spend $220 you can do MUCH better than any of those, GK Backline 600 or 400RB come to mind as well as a whole host of used Peaveys. The cab, maybe it's a diamond in the rough, but probably just rough. If you can scrounge another $50-80 you can get a used Avatar, SWR or some such that will serve you better, it'll just require some diligent use the internet.

3. Alright, thanks for the advice. Don't be afraid to shoot down any of these, the last thing I want to do is waste money. $220 for just a head is really pushing it for me. I would like to stay at or under $300. I could probably get someone to laon me some cash for a little while but I'm really looking for a cheap rig. If I can get a 200 watt head and a cheap cabinet I'll be plenty satisfied.

Edit, I found a craigs list Kustom amp that I updated my first post with. It looks like the amp is 100 watts so I think I'm going to scratch that one off my list.

4. Buy that Kustom! That thing looks killer.

5. I do like the vintage look of it, but 100 watts won't be enough for me if I run it through an 8 ohm cab like I'm planning. I'm thinking 200 watts is a minimum for me, and judging by my budget it will probably be all I can get.

6. Hmmm, any more advice? If my selection isn't that great are there any amps/cabs I should take a look around for?

7. Ive seen Peavey firebass (also called 'Max 700') heads goes for under $300 used on the US ebay (i dont look there often so i guess you could probably get it cheaper).

Thats 700 watts at 2 ohms, 474 watts at 4 ohms or 275 watts (i think) at 8 ohms.

There is also the peavey NitroBass amps (also called 'Max 450') 450 watts at 2 ohms, 300 watts at 4 ohms and 170 watts at 8 ohms

And peavey DeltaBass (also called 'Max 160') 160 watts at 4 ohms, 100watts and 8 ohms

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I just bought a peavey 410 tv for 50 bucks & I've seen Hartke 410s for 75 bucks. While not pretty they work great. Comb Craigslist 5x a day for a while & you'll find your gem.
    Its worth it dude.

9. You say that now, but once you get it you may think otherwise. A cheap cabinet can drag down a great amp.

Another option you might look into is a used Ampeg B2R. American made, 350 watts at 4 ohms and 200 at 8 ohms.....I picked one up on eBay last month for $230 including the shipping. Nice little rack amp.

10. zonajoe

zonajoe

Aug 1, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Boonerstreet
    I own that same Kustom Amp since the mid 60's and still use it today. That is a 200 watt solid state amp one of the early solid state transistor amps that came out. It has served me well over the years and I still use it today it sounds awesome. That is a great price of $250 for the complete combo. $100 for the head is also a good price but I would buy the combo I think the value over time will be better if you have a complete amp. It has been extemely dependable. I have attached a photo of it with my vintage Mosrite.

Attached Files:

11. The amp at the store is exactly like yours but much more "used." 200 watts huh? If that's the case this may be the head for me. I love the vintage vibe radiating from it. It's beat up and worn out and it fits me perfectly. I'm going to research this more and talk to the store owner to see if I can verify that it is 200 watts. I would love to just take your word for it but I'm afraid it may turn out to just be 100 watts. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from, I mean no disrespect towards you by questioning your opinion, I just want to be totally sure. I think 100 bucks is a fair price for a 200 watt head, everything on craigslist in my area is a complete rip off at the moment anyways. Thanks a lot for the help.

As for everyone else who replied, thanks to you too. I'm getting the feeling that this Xtreme Audio cab may not be a wise choice. I'll ask the owner if I can test it out first to see how it sounds. I'll scan craigslist diligently now to see if anything comes up. Thanks for all the help everyone, and I'm open to any more advice.

12. zonajoe

zonajoe

Aug 1, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I think you should put more weight on the sound the amp provides you than the actual number used to rate the wattage. Wattage ratings have a way of getting mistated. Good luck.

13. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    My Understanding of the K200B is that it has 2 100watt amp sections so yeah it's 200watts sort of, but each channel only has 100 watts. And I've seen no indication of minimum resistance load, so if that's 100w per side into 4ohms you're talking about 50-60w into an 8ohm load.

The Peavey's listed about are worth looking at as are things like the Mark IV, Mark VI, Mark VIII, SessionBass, and a few other ones. There are a lot of Mark III's out there but they might be a bit underpowered.

14. Okay, thanks for the replies. I just don't think the Kustom will be loud enough for small sessions that I plan to play at. Thanks to Zonajoe and Warfrat for giving me info on that amp. I spotted a SWR WORKINGMAN'S 300 amp head on ebay at $90 with a few days left. From reviews I've looked at it seems to be a nice head, any opinions on it? Thanks again.

15. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Good amp, I'd be surprised if it sold for much less than $300 by the time the bidding's over.

16. I'll keep an eye it and look out for any other amps you mentioned. Anyone have any comments on the fender head from my first post? Thanks for all of the replies.

17. *Update*

Hey guys, I found a used Peavey Mark IV head for $150. Sound like a good deal? Thanks for the help.

18. I hate to keep bumping this, but I would really like to know if $150 for a Mark IV head is a fair deal. I've heard stories of people buying one used anywhere from 75 to 200 so I'm just wondering if $150 is okay. After that, the thread can die. Thanks to everyone who has offered me advice.

19. Thanks for the help, my questions are fulfilled. I heart craigslist and all tb members.:D