1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Users Can No Longer Delete Their Own Ads

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Price:
    As classified ads are now infinitely editable, we no longer allow users to delete their own ads. This benefits all users in that they can use the archived pricing history as a guideline, as well as not allowing users to try to hide suspicious activity by deleting their own thread. When you no longer wish to have your ad be active, simply open your thread, click Thread Tools, select Edit Title, select "No Longer Available" from the pull down menu, and click Save.

drumsnbass, R&B and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  2. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    This is a great idea. I would also add that all photos should be only uploaded to TB rather than hosted on a third-party image service. Over time these third party services change, delete, or move this visual content leaving archived TB pages littered with X'ed out images and broken links. Without this visual context, it will still be difficult to accurately assess the current value of gear or the previous condition of gear sold previously to other TB members.

Actually, I also believe as a rule, photos in ALL forums should require uploaded images only to prevent broken image links years from now.

superheavyfunk and MrUsefulAlien like this.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I doubt we could realistically put that forum-wide rule in place, at least not currently; requiring all photos be TB hosted would take up a tremendous amount of server space.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Way overdue, thank you guys!

5. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    OK, So i get the reason for no longer being able to delete an ad but, why can't we close our own thread and/or delete unwanted or antagonistic comments.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can mark your thread as sold or no longer available. If someone happens to post in your thread after your item is sold, it would do no harm as posts no longer bump threads. You can't delete their posts as
    1. You'd need moderator privileges to do so, and even if that weren't the case
    2. Valid questions/comments are permitted here, and a seller shouldn't be able to delete whatever they want. If for example someone lists a Jazz and mislabeled it as 65 when it's really an 82, he shouldn't be able to silence the folks who post to correct the error. Any negative/antagonistic posts that show up can always be deleted by a moderator- just send a post report on them.

7. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    That's why I'm asking... but the comment has already done damage potentially...

I wasn't concerned about valid questions or mistakes/misposts being corrected. I was more concerned with trolls, tools and general hate and discontent. I know not everyone is (should be but isn't) trustworthy enough to police their own threads against antagonizers discontent.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You just have to report those like always- users have never been able to delete others' posts, classifieds or not, as it requires moderator privileges.

9. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Bryan: I paypaled for a supported membership a couple days ago but have not been upgraded yet. Sorry to post about it in this thread but due to my status I can't even start a new conversation... how can I solve this problem?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and forward us your PayPal transaction number.

11. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Thank you!

12. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I have a few items for sale and they have been on Talkbass for a while. How can I repost them so they show up at the top instead of being buried many pages behind? Thanks!

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Under the Bump Controls option at the top of your thread, just click “Bump Thread.” You can do this once every 24 hours.

DaveDeVille likes this.