Using a compressor to balance flatpole J bass pickups

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shughey, Sep 26, 2018.

1. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Epping, NH
    The current Jazz bass I'm using, like many J basses, has flat pole pieces. In addition, it has a "vintage" 7.25" fretboard radius. Because of this, the output of each string from the pickup isn't as even as I like. The A and D strings are quieter than the E and G. I know why this is, but I'm wondering if using a transparent compressor pedal in a live setting would help.

Furthermore, I'm looking for a compressor pedal that won't alter my tone much. I've played through some compressor pedals, and even set lightly, the low end can sound a little hyped/muddy. I'd bypass this whole compressor deal, but some tunes I play require stuff like pedals off the A string or something, and that open A string tends to get buried versus the E string A note in the same octave. Any suggestions on a comp pedal that would accomplish this? Or if there's a solution other than a comp pedal I'd like to hear that as well!

note: I've tried setting the action on basses like this a pinch higher and naturally flattening the radius of the strings a little bit to even the outputs, but the effect is not enough.

2. That can work- I have a set of DiMarzio Js in my Yamaha bass.

REGARDLESS of how I set them up (adjustable pole pieces) my E (D in my tuning) string is always louder than the rest.

Compression to the rescue!

shughey likes this.