1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using a megaphone?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by kyral210, Sep 13, 2008.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, this isnt really a bass question, its a singing question. If I want to sing through a megaphone live, how should i mike it and what strength megaphone should i use?

For an example, see Muse:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlbFJANujaU

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Don't know how you can hold it up to your mouth and play bass, but just sing in front of a mic with it up to your mouth. The megaphone doesn't really matter as long as it has a tonality you like.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The Ibanez LF-7 is absolutely perfect to get megaphone sounds.
    IBZ_E_lf7_M.
    Of course, you lose the visual effect.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Most of the groups I've seen do it (and there were a few this past summer, especially country acts) use an el-cheapo Radio Shack model through their regular vocal mic. Just make sure you warn the sound engineer during soundcheck.

-Mark

5. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    can you even run a mic through that distortion pedal?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It is not a distortion pedal (although it can be used this way) and it is meant to be used with mics.
    High and low pass filters mimic lo fi devices such as a megaphone or AM radio. It is the sole purpose of this pedal.

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Jazz Ad beat me to it.

If you are set on using a real megaphone live (for looks or because they're cheaper), get a toy or very small one online. Radio Shack actually is not the best place; the ones they sell are not so bad and really designed for outdoor use (rallies, etc) and are too loud (and unnecessarily expensive) for just going into a microphone. I have one from Radio Shack that was $150 or so, the smallest they had, and if I recall correctly it uses 6 or 8 size-C batteries, or some such. Try Toys "R" Us or the internet instead.

$50 from Target:
    http://www.target.com/Mini-Megaphon...3-8240967?ie=UTF8&rh=k:mini megaphones&page=1

Here's one for $13:
    http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=337

Also be careful about ordinances. In some places it is illegal to use a megaphone without a parade permit and you can get ticketed for it (seriously), even if it is part of your show. In other words, don't drive up & down the streets of the town where you're performing, in between soundcheck and doors, announcing your show to pedestrians, LOL.

8. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Forgot they had the real ones too! (LOL)

Rat Shack used to have a little toy one just like you listed that was under $20. That's the one I was talking about.:)

-Mark

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    being from the UK, I think there is a different legal situation. People walk up and down the streets telling us all how we are going to hell (happy Christians) using megaphones. Besides, its just for one song, we have no intention of parading up and down the streets before gigs....

:bassist: