1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Bass Guitar and Keyboard TOGETHER!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JimKata, May 12, 2010.

1. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Alright, so I wasn't totally sure where to put this thread or if a similar one had been previously made.

Now before I get going here I want to state first and foremost that I AM A BASS PLAYER - IT WILL ALWAYS BE MY PRIMARY INSTRUMENT.

So i play in an electro-rock band and we have a pretty basic set up - bass, drums, 2 guitars, vocals. However one of our guitarists incorporates alot of synths (totally gay for the prophet and the sounds that come out of that thing) and our drummer uses lots of e-drums and samples. I'm also a fairly effects heavy bass player - have a killer go to tone but I do use effects in the process of writing certain songs.

Anyways - THE POINT. Wondering if any of you guys also use a bass synth keyboard: whether its a bass synth or midi keyboard and run it through a computer. If so, what do you use - any suggestions in terms of equipment and software? Also what are you're feelings on this technique. Seems to be a fad lately and I'm sure many of you are in a traditionalist camp in terms of just sticking to bass (its been my perspective for a long time now) but I could totally see where this setup could be AWESOME.

Discuss.

2. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    bump

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
  4. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Check out Geddy Lee's (and Alex Lifeson's) various set ups over the past 30 years.

5. MicroKorg has killer bass.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Moog Taurus, maybe?

7. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Cool, thanks guys.

Very aware of what Geddy Lee has done in the past. Actually ran over to a buddy's house after starting this thread yesterday and geeked out on some bass synths for a while. Some strong recommendations he had were the Moog rogue, and a vintage Yamaha bass synth (uhhhh gassssing). Any other ideas or insights?

Thanks

8. PSIlentRain1

PSIlentRain1

May 18, 2010
    Virginia
    KORG X50.....Light, Easy to carry, sweet sounds!! can be connected to a sound module/computer to get any other sound out of it you want.

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I used to play an Arp 2600 on stage in conjunction with bass - sometimes played bass parts on the keyboard, or used it for sound effects...we did one tune where I was pedalling a note on the bass and played a keyboard part with the headstock (all white keys fortunately).

I still have the Arp but don't subject it to stage work anymore. Our music doesn't call for it. It produced a nice, fat bass sound, though.

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I'm using Roland foot pedals to control a MicroKORG with my '80s project. My singer hijacked my ESQ-1, or I'd be using it, too.

The ESQ-1 sounds much better, but the KORG has some decent basses. I haven't had time to program it yet, but it looks pretty versatile soundwise, and will fit on a music stand if you don't have bandmembers with footpedals to control it.

11. I use a Dave Smith Mono Evolver Keyboard. It is pretty good as far as hardware monosynths and I just play it like a keyboard for basses as well as leads and sound fx.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm so disappointed. I really thought you were gonna play the bass guitar and the keys at the same exact time. :smug:

13. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I came here to pitch in my recommendation for the MicroKorg or MicroKorg XL. I have the XL and completely love it. The stock sounds are fantastic--there are some REALLY fat bass sounds--sounds great through my bass amp. It does everything from the modern stuff to vintage to 80s cheeze, and very editable onboard or by USB, you can actually load the MicroKorg and MS2K banks into the XL in case you want to check those out. It's also small which makes transport easy, mine sits on top of my amp without blocking the vents.