Using double stops and harmonics

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass element, Nov 22, 2004.

1. while reading sheet music, if the note to be played is an A on the D string, for example, could u do a double stop with A as the root note?

how can u incorporate harmonics into sheet music?
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If the sheet music calls for that A, then that is what you should play. Of course if it is a free from or loose situation go ahead and play a double stop.

You could play the 4th and 5th above. The 5th and octave lower. Or throw in a 3rd or 7th. Also yes you could incorporate harmonic A and D.

Yes, there is notation for harmonics.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In classical notation, you put a little circle over the notes that are to be played as harmonics .
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You long as you have a good reason to do so.

If the A in question is a quarter note as a passing tone in a walking bass line, it would sound out of place. If you are backing up an A chord then it might sound good to create a fuller sound (you could further embellish this by playing another note in the chord on the G string).

If I am playing a hard rock song that involves peddling an E,A, or D at quarter note intervals, I'll often play them in Octaves (i.e. "Runnin with the Devil" by VanHalen or "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Ossbounre)