Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Garageband Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Worshiper, May 7, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'm new to garageband and I want to use some loops I made for curch. I want to know if anyone can tell me how to wire my powerbook so that the loops can run through the system and simultaneously record our playing. I know it can be done because I've seen a band use it for these two purposes, but I just can't seem to find them to ask them. Thanks.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    bump...anyone???

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  4. I'm not sure, I know the drummer from my band used it to create a rap song (which is hilarious) awhile ago, I'll ask him and get back to you.

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    thanks. I was thinking about running a 1/8 inch to a 1/4 inch chord and putting it into a direct box for the sound system. This should work right?

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i haven't used GB to any great length, but from what i can tell by sitting here playing around with it is:

1: set the track that you want to play out to the PA so that it can be monitored.
    2: create your "Real Instrument" tracks and Arm them for record
    3: When you hit record, the monitored track should play while you are recording.
    4: this would probably get more answers in the Recording foreum though.

you might check out the Discussion Forums at Apple.com also

hope some of this helps.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    imic. It's a USB 1/8 In and Out and it is a great little gadget. We us it just the way you are describing, but we use 1/8 to RCA's and it works like a charm.